questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions

I am concerned about recieving mail from the BK court can anyone tell me how many mailings you get from them once you file?

Also, when do the creditors stop sending statements? once you file or once youve been discharged? thanks

What are you concerned about in regards to receiving mail from the court?

Statements are supposed to stop once you file...you may get one here or there as it takes a few days for the creditors to get notified of your BK.
    Filed 5/29/09
    Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

You will get one about 2 weeks after you file notifying you of your 341 . It's pretty generic looking on the outside(the envelope) if I remember correctly.
      6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
      10/06/2009 Discharged
      01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

Just that I live with a roommate and I'd prefer to keep this private. Is there anything that you get that actually says BK court on it?

thanks

Comment

You get the notice for your 341, about a week or so after your 341 you get the no distribution one, then you'll get another for discharge.
          Filed 5/29/09
          Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

Yes, it says Official Business-US Bankruptcy Court on the envelopes.
            Filed 5/29/09
            Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

Originally posted by veggirl View Post
              Just that I live with a roommate and I'd prefer to keep this private. Is there anything that you get that actually says BK court on it?

thanks
              I just filed and I get tons of "offers" from car loans to credit card apps. The think that sucks is that these "offers" come marked on the outside of the envelope: BK approved,etc! Lots of postcards with BK approved loans too. I doubt you'll be able to hide anything from your roommate. Good Luck!
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                I just filed and I get tons of "offers" from car loans to credit card apps. The think that sucks is that these "offers" come marked on the outside of the envelope: BK approved,etc! Lots of postcards with BK approved loans too. I doubt you'll be able to hide anything from your roommate. Good Luck!
                I agree, the bk court mailings are pretty obvious. Then when you add in all those offers liz mentioned I think your roommate will catch on. You get mailing from 722 redemption to 'save your car' or postcards from the debt counseling companies.
                Filed 5/29/09
                Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

Generic looking, yes... but the return address will more than likely be "United States Bankruptcy Court - District of XXXXX".

At least in my district, all of the information anyone could want to know was on the outside of the letter (Up in the corner near the return address). That is was important communication in connection with a Bankruptcy Filling, my name, the case number, when it was filed, etc.

It doesn't scream out for attention as much as a certified letter that says "For Official Business Only" on it, but if someone was flipping through the mail it's not exactly secret what it's about either.

Barring complications, that would probably should be the only mailing you get until discharge. If you keep up on your case every evening with PACER, you should see the 341 Notice post on PACER the day they do the mailing (and then know to expect it in the mail the following day).

In my case I filed on the 10th, PACER had the "Notification of Bankrupcty Filing and Meeting of Creditors" on the 17th, it was postmarked on the 18th, and arrived on the 19th. Depending on how backed up your district is, some people on here have posted about not yet receiving their notification more than two weeks after filing.

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                    I got those too.
                    6/30/2009 Filed Ch. 7
                    10/06/2009 Discharged
                    01/24/2011 Closed

Comment

this is making me paranoid i am thinking about just having the post office hold my mail, and ill pick it up there

how long do these mailings go on for?

Comment

If you real worried, go to the post office and have your mail stopped for awhile. They will do that. We had one envelope come from the courts, which said Bankruptcy right on it. (wrong address for creditor). They can hold your mail for 30 days.

Far as creditors, they really can't send you a statement until after you are discharged. My mortgage companies have send me statements, but both state if we are in Bk this is not an attempt to collect a debt! Anyway they come in a normal envelope.

Yep just stop your mail, it does say United State Bankruptcy on the return address.
                        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by veggirl View Post
                          this is making me paranoid i am thinking about just having the post office hold my mail, and ill pick it up there

how long do these mailings go on for?
                          Word of advice...if you put in a hold on your mail, it's for the entire address, not just you. So your roommate's mail will be held too and I'd imagine they might not be cool with that.
                          Filed 5/29/09
                          Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

I would also consider that your roommate probably already has a better idea what's going on than you think. And if it hasn't been an issue yet, maybe it won't be?

The creditors and collection agencies don't make it a secret when you fall behind and they start bombarding you with dunning notices and "Final Notices".

Perhaps your roommate would just glance by it in the mail as it being none of their business?

Hopefully you can figure something out...

Comment

Your roommate probably does know something's going on. You may try to just explain it to them. All the BK mailings clearly state Bankruptcy Court on the outer envelope in bold letters.
                              4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                              5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                              7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                              7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X