No announcement yet.

questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually have a PO box at the post office I may just have all my mail forwarded there to be safe

Comment

Originally posted by veggirl View Post
      I actually have a PO box at the post office I may just have all my mail forwarded there to be safe

This was going to be my advice for you. However, I'm not sure if the junk mail you receive post-filing is first class mail or not and whether the post office forwards such junk.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

now where do they get your address from? i havent filed yet but if i file and use a po box as my mailing address with they get that address?

can anyone tell me how long after filing they start receiving these mailings and how long do they continue for? thanks!!

Comment

veggirl, even if you give the bk court your po box, they will still require you to give a physical address (they use that to assign cases to the right sub-district). then they send notices to both the physical address and the po box.

i think your idea of forwarding your mail to your po box is by far the best one. i would suggest to do that now so you are sure it's working by the time you file (note that your roommate might wonder why you are not getting any mail...). you would then get two notices of everything in your pobox, but the one mailed to the pobox would reach you earlier.

in ordinary cases you would get the 341 notice a few days to a couple of weeks after you file; then the discharge/close notice somewhere between 3 and 5 months after you file. that should be it from the court. junk mail from companies preying on the bankrupt starts right away and i don't know how long that continues; however, those are not so prominent on the envelope.
          filed ch7 May 09
          341 june 09
          discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

thanks i got nervous everyone was saying that they are obvious on the envelope with BK approved etc...not in your experience Music?

also I just read that you can contact the credit center to opt out from these mailings does anyone know about that?? thanks

Comment

one just said "important legal information enclosed." there was also a postcard that talked about bk. the stuff from the court itself was very obvious, with the word bk all over the place. however, it didn't matter to me because i had everything going to the pobox!! so i suppose the mailman knows, but that's it.

i don't know if there is a "do not mail" list like there is a "do not call" list. i hope there is, for your sake. but even if there is, i doubt it would work 100%.
              Last edited by music12; 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: add a line
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09

Comment

so they were able to forward everything to your po box? even the postcards? they said at the post office they only forward 1st class to the po box...just wondering! thanks

Comment

i had the forwarding in place long before i even thought about bk.

i did get one postcard, but maybe it was 1st class, don't remember.

when they say they won't forward anything other than 1st class, does that mean they would deliver to the old address or just not deliver?
                  filed ch7 May 09
                  341 june 09

Comment

no they send it to your address i believe
                    so when you get these mailings does it have your address as well or just the po box?
                    can i ask how long after filing does it take before they start sending those?
                    have they started to die down a bit?
                    just wondering about how many to expect and how obvious they are!
                    thanks i really appreciate your feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                      when they say they won't forward anything other than 1st class, does that mean they would deliver to the old address or just not deliver?

If it's 3rd class mail it gets chucked unless it has an endorsement. Or if it is addressed 'John Smith or current resident' then it gets delivered to the old address.
                      Filed 5/29/09
                      Discharged 9/14/09

Comment

every junk mail i got related to the bk had only my pobox, which is what i listed as my mailing address on the petition. nobody except the bk court sent anything to the physical address.

i had a couple that were mailed almost instantly when i filed; they were advertising the course you are supposed to take post-filing. i was actually happy about that because one was for $15 whereas the one i would have done otherwise was for $50, so i saved $35 right there. one was a postcard; one said "important legal information enclosed" on the envelope; the third was discrete, nothing on the envelope.

then i got one cc offer and some letter from someone suggesting i get a car loan (yeah, right). neither had anything on the envelope. that was pretty much it so far. then one of my prior credit cards which i had never used sent me a new card begging me to use it. they must not have learned of my bk (that cc ended up being very useful in an unexpected way; see my post:

)

my guess is that more will come after discharge. i don't know. maybe others would post something about that.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

Thank you for all of your help!

Comment

Originally posted by veggirl View Post
                            Thank you for all of your help!

There are a multitude of issues to deal with regarding filing bankruptcy. I put what is visible on envelopes in my mailbox near the bottom of that list.
                            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

well, different people rate the importance of different issues differently.
                              filed ch7 May 09
                              341 june 09

Comment

Originally posted by music12 View Post
                                well, different people rate the importance of different issues differently.
                                Well, different people rate the importance of different issues differently on different days too!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X