2nd Meeting with Lawyer, Pre Ch.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd Meeting with Lawyer, Pre Ch.7

Ok the wife and I had a 2nd meeting with our lawyer yesterday. We had a really productive meeting and along with all the help and information from this forum are at ease alot more.

No more payments to MIL until after discharge.

It is acceptable in this district to include mortgage payment $1656 without scrutiny from the TT or UST even though we plan on surrendering on both the Means and Schedule J.

College Tuition Payments Not allowed on Means Test or Schedule J.

We will NOT Re-affirm Home since we are upside down.

2nd Home in Texas we will let go also.

401K Contrubutions and Loan re-payment not allowed in Means or on any of the Ch.7 Schedules. He said we can continue to contribute and also repay the loan but neither would figure into the filing. He said we could stop payments and convert the loan to an asset but urged us not to due to the tax ramifications.

He said we could use our 2009 Fed and State returns on allowable expenses otherwise be prepared for the TT and UST to ask for the $$$. He said we could use it on the following: 6 months of Food, 2months Utilities, Auto Repairs, 2months Vehicle Insurance and required college tuition. He said the tuition may raise an eyebrow but he believes the TT and UST will only want to see the receipt. I asked him about purchasing grocery store gift cards and he told me not to do it at this time. He says he is in a legal dispute right now with the UST over this issue and he doesn't need another example.

I aksed him about TOC and Presumption of Abuse. He told us we had nothing to worry about unless we were trrying to hide something, we aren't as we have nothing worth hiding. He did however tell us it was a sure bet that the UST would file the Presumption of Abuse due to our $140k total income this year. Said the UST would be doing his job to give more time to scrutinize or case. He says once the UST realizes that our income has dropped 50% that he will back off. Really just basically told us we have the triggers for the Presumption of Abuse but have the evidence to refute it. Said if he thought there was any chance of a TOC claim that he himself wouldn't take the case.

All in all it went really well. The lawyer said we look ok for a Ch.7 but there was always a chance something else could happen. Told us to go home and enjoy the holidays and we will file the first week of April. Said it was good that I was informed and had many questions and he isn't afraid to fight if we have to. Oh and they use the Best Case Bankruptcy software so thanks to MSbklawyer for the link !!

Sorry for the long winded post.

Meatstick

Meatstick, congratulations on getting through what seems to be a very good session with your attorney. I'm glad to hear that he took the time to explain things to you, even as you brought up things like Totality of Circumstances (TOC) and abuse!

Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
      He said we could stop payments and convert the loan to an asset but urged us not to due to the tax ramifications
      Hi there.

can you explain what this means ?? I was always under the impression one could not dis-continue payments on a 401K loan even if you left a company. what did he mean by "convert loan to an asset "
      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

If you leave a company while you have an active 401k loan you either pay the balance off in full or you do a cash-out. Doing a cash-out brings Uncle Sam into the fold.

What our attorney told me was we could stop making the 401k loan payments but that would then convert it into a cash-out that would be subject to the taxman which then must be listed as income/asset.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
          Meatstick, congratulations on getting through what seems to be a very good session with your attorney. I'm glad to hear that he took the time to explain things to you, even as you brought up things like Totality of Circumstances (TOC) and abuse!

Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.
          Well I had written down a two-page list of questions and he answered them all so I said wtf and asked some more.

Comment

Originally posted by Meatstick View Post
            Oh and they use the Best Case Bankruptcy software so thanks to MSbklawyer for the link !!

Meatstick
            My attorney also uses Best Case.
            Chapter 7 filed December 11, 2009, 341 Meeting held on January 7, 2010
            Deadline to File a Complaint: March 8, 2010

Discharged and Closed March 11, 2010

Comment

I use Best Case... so it must be good. There's also another Bankruptcy software product called Bankrupter. The Bankrupter software is free, but each case you file using it... costs so much money. I like Best Case better.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X