Need Input... again!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Input... again!!!

Can anyone tell me how (if approved for a 7) am I supposed to keep making payments to my 2 mortgage companies and my 2 car loans if they stop sending me payment coupons and statements and deny me online access to my accounts??? I have read from previous posters here that when you file a chapter 7 you sometimes are denied online access to your account. I do ALL my bill paying online. Will they send me year end statements again??? What is their purpose in doing this???
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Originally posted by Ann View Post
    Can anyone tell me how (if approved for a 7) am I supposed to keep making payments to my 2 mortgage companies and my 2 car loans if they stop sending me payment coupons and statements and deny me online access to my accounts???
    Ann, contact your lenders at the last contact point you have (the last bills they sent or a payment coupon, for example). Ask for the address to use to send your payments in during your active bankruptcy. It may be the same address as you have on your coupon/bill, or it may be a different address if they have a bankruptcy division.

You can still pay your bills online - just use your bank's or credit union's online bill pay feature. You can even set up consistent bills that don't change amounts from month to month to go out automatically on a certain date. Just be sure that your account number is on the check issued by the bank.

If your bank or CU doesn't have online bill pay, then you go back to old-fashioned checks and the US mail. In this case, be sure to add your account number to every single check you send.

You are right that you can't count on the lender's bill reminders any longer as long as your bankruptcy is active. You have to remember to send the payments in or set up your online bill pay to send them automatically so the payment reaches the creditor on time. Just be sure you have the correct lender addresses to send the payments to.

I have read from previous posters here that when you file a chapter 7 you sometimes are denied online access to your account. I do ALL my bill paying online. Will they send me year end statements again??? What is their purpose in doing this???
    The purpose they state publicly for removing all online access to your accounts is so they aren't perceived as violating your automatic stay by appearing to demand payments. Personally I think that under the table they enjoy making life harder for you after you file on them as well. It's the only legal revenge they can get.

However, you can beat them at their game by taking charge and making your own payments on time yourself. The coupons and bill reminders are a convenience, not a necessity. Gather the needed payment info yourself for each of your secured loans and take charge. You can do it!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

After filing, just contact those lenders and find out if the payment address has changed. (Some may handle your accounts for a different department due to bankruptcy.) You can send checks, or use your bank account for online-bill-pay.

The automatic stay prevents creditors from collection efforts. Even if you intend to keep the secured property and continue to pay. You may still get statements - but if so they'll have 'this is for informational purposes only/not attempting to collect' disclaimers. I think they block online account access just because they can...
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Toyota blocked my online access and they haven't sent me a bill. But I did call the 1-800# that they said to call when I attempted to log on to pay my auto loan (I'm keeping the car). It was an automated system that stated if I wished to continue paying that I could mail it in and after the bankruptcy is discharged, online access will be restored.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X