Chapter 7 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 questions

Tomorrow I am going to pay my attorney fee to file chapter 7. My first question is, my income is a bit higher than the median. During my initial consultation, the lawyer said we can count my girlfriends minor children which will put me well under the median income ( weall live in the c same home). Has anyone heard of this happening before?

My next question is roughly 1.5 years ago I bought and sold a few cars. Is this something they can look into and find as well, is it something I have to report and do they look? How will this affect me? I wasn't thinking about bankruptcy at all at that point.

I know I need to be open and honest. I'm just nervous some of the things I bought, or spent money on could be used against me. I had a compulsive spending habit which would make me constantly buy and sell my things, usually losing money. That is how I got myself into so much debt.I started having to use credit cards to supplement purchasing things which I really have nothing to show for.

I'm now on a place where I cannot make the payments, and they are going to collections. At this point there's no way I can get caught up. This is definitely a very embarrassing and humbling time for me. I am reevaluating the way I have spent my money and seeking out help.

Welcome to BKForum!

As for household size, the definition says all members of a household so your household size will likely hold up. The question would be whether the United States Trustee (UST) wants to challenge that. If the UST challenges the household size, it will usually be if you use the other members for purposes of expenses. The question becomes whether your district (and UST) requires a household member to be a dependent for tax purposes. I can't answer that for you. If your attorney says using all members of the household in that number, then please follow your attorney's advice.

Your sale of old vehicles shouldn't be an issue unless you sold them to an insider. I wouldn't worry about this.

Trust me when I say that the attorneys and bankruptcy trustee and judge have seen everything; they have seen everything. The goal is to give the honest debtor a fresh start. Overspending is how many people get in trouble and it's not going to be at issue.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X