Final Judgement Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Judgement Notice

I am still waiting for my lawyer to get back to me on this question, so I thought I would ask it here first.

Long story short, I went to a pre-trial/mediation appearance (because of a creditor filing lawsuit for payment). I told the Judge I needed more time, as I am filing bankruptcy and I can't afford making payments to them because I am loosing money every month as it is. He pretty much said, "Nope, most people say they are going to file but never file for bankruptcy." I just got the final judgment papers saying that the plaintiff shall recover from me the sum of the debt, plus court costs etc. I mean, I have like 45 days to respond with the info the court wants (how much I make, job description etc..), but I am going to be filing chapter 7 in about 1 week (I am still getting the rest of the cash to fully pay the lawyer). My question is....Will this final judgment be wiped out once I file chapter 7? Is this something I have to worry about?

Thanks in advance

We were in a similar situation. My dad (creep) filed a judgment and won cuz we didn't fight it, then put a lien on our house and tried to garnish hubby's wages. We filed C7 after the judgment and that stopped the wage garnishment but not the lien. I guess in C7 they won't strip a lien but in C13 they will. As far as the judgment goes ours has not been removed (as far as I know) but it really doesn't matter cuz he can't do anythng to us now that we are in a BK.

Ask your lawyer but for us the lawyer said do nothing and let the judgment go through, which we did and so far he is just listed as one of our creditors.

Good luck. I know we need some!

Comment

Originally posted by Kingxray View Post
      Ask your lawyer but for us the lawyer said do nothing and let the judgment go through, which we did and so far he is just listed as one of our creditors.

Good luck. I know we need some!
      Yeah, I finally signed an agreement with a lawyer and will be paying the full amount next week. I remember when I was first looking into lawyers. I had one say to deny the debt all together. I had another one say to acknowledge it at the hearing, but say that I can't afford to pay any of it. I took option B, because I honestly can't pay it, but I knew the debt was mine. Saying " I deny it" just sounded like I would be lying, I don't know.

Anyway, I am just worried about the "extra" charges that got thrown on the judgment, like the court cost and the credit card companies attorney fees.

Comment

Don't worry about that either, you will not have to pay that back even if you are pushed into a 13. We had tons of interest, attorney fees, court costs in our judgment, something like 10K. That is all included in the BK.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X