marital bliss gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marital bliss gone!

well, it could only happen to me. i married what i thought was a wonderful girl, who it seems has an extreme case of bi-polar mental illness.. she goes to the doctor on a regular basis, but attempted suicide and was placed in a psyche ward for a week.. when she came home, i thought things were improving, until i checked the cell phone minutes usage..

it seems that she connected with a man who was also in the hospital and they have been calling each other numerous times a day, when im not around.. when i confronted her, she swore it was innocent..im not buying it.

she started talking suicide again and we separated.. she is currently living with her former female boss who is a confirmed "man-hater" and would do anything to cause me problems. this woman has been very problematic to our relationship and pretty much torpedoed any chance of reconciiation,

i filed for divorce without a lawyer....

4 months ago, she had more than 10 grand in the bank, but drew it out, because she wanted to apply for SS disability due to her mental condition...she hid the money in the mattress, but now i understand she has spent most of it. she came to me wanting temporary support until her SS case is heard.. it could be many months..

wouldnt this be fraud on her part, by concealing the money? could i be required to give her temporary support, even though we were only married a few months? (florida)
    "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

This is not a bankruptcy question. You might consider posting this question on a site such as AVVO in your area (avvo dot com) in the family law section.

I don't do family law or social security type cases but unless you have written statements from her saying that she withdrew the money with the specific intent to obtain social security then she can say she withdrew it because she didn't trust banks and wanted her cash at her house. You can of course bring this type of argument up at the hearing where she is requesting temporary support though.

You might consider contacting a family law attorney in your area to see if they offer free consultations, or paying for a one hour consultation with one.

Good luck!
    --William
    I am an attorney, but I am just not your attorney.
    As such, any statement is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by floridian View Post
      (big snip...) wouldnt this be fraud on her part, by concealing the money? could i be required to give her temporary support, even though we were only married a few months? (florida)
      Hi Floridian...your posting was moved out of the BK section...you need a domestic relations lawyer to help you as to your support question situation. You mentioned you filed for divorce without a lawyer...I suggest you consult one under these circumstances...best of luck to you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

As others have stated, you really should consult with a divorce attorney. About the only way you would have to pay spousal support on such a short-term marriage is if you make a mistake during the process.

Also, given that it has been less than a year, why didn't you file for an annulment? This would be something that you would also discuss with an attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X