Should I do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I do this

To help make extra money, I've seriously been considering baking from home for extra money. I used to own a bakery and miss making wedding cakes. It was profitable even if I charge 25-50% less than the big bakeries in my area. The only catch is the fact that our health department requires permits and a licensed commercial kitchen. Since I wouldn't be running an "approved" kitchen, there's no way to sign a contract and that's a major problem.

I am considering baking on a limited basis (maybe one wedding a month), but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I still have my pans and decorating supplies so I'm good to go, but don't know if this is a good idea because of the health department issue. I've thought about asking for donations and making smaller cakes, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I could really use the extra money. Any thoughts.
    Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
    341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
    Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Check into the health department requirements for specifics. They may not apply to hobbies - and baking a cake here & there for someone may not be enough of a 'business' venture to require licensing.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I have two friends who do this. One bakes custom cakes designed in basically any flavor, shape and theme you could imagine. The other is a very artistic, self-taught flower designer with over 30 years experience. Neither has a license.

They both partnered up and now do "events" such as small weddings, christenings, birthdays, etc. on a part-time basis (they both work full-time). They started small, through word of mouth, for friends and friends of friends, and are making some good extra money and new friends at the same time. They work strictly on a personal referral basis, so I guess that helps. SMinGA above has a good point. Check it out!
      BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X