No announcement yet.

Who's looking for work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment in Nevada is 13.9% That's not counting people working part time, or quit looking.

I'm thinking of picking up the cat and moving to Texas.

Comment

I have one of your NV types living next to me looking for work that came down from Vegas about 2 months ago here. No luck so far here.

Comment

This is all too depressing...
        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by kenshirley View Post
          I have one of your NV types living next to me looking for work that came down from Vegas about 2 months ago here. No luck so far here.
          I used to work in the title business...

Wasn't Arizona hit almost as hard as CA and NV?

Comment

Yep.
            My son managed the sub contractors and was the purchasing agent for a major build in business for almost 50 years. Went BK Aug 2008
            His wife worked for a title agency. Laid off Nov 2008
            My daughter worked for a custom builder of multi million dollar homes. Office Manger and contracts officer for him. Laid off Nov 2008.
            These were all good paying jobs, $50-70K per year.
            Many people in the real estate business here that were making $200k as project superintendents are will to take any job to put food on the table now.
            My son's entry level home that he sold for $235k about 2 years ago just sold again on the market for $122K just last month.
            Go figure.

Comment

I don't think there are many places that were not hit by this recession/depression. In my area we are high in unemployment, but the area has never been a high value housing area. Everything else costs more here than AZ,CA, GA, or SC., but the wages are horrible in the Ozark area. They have been for a long t ime now. My area suffers now with 42% of the school kids have low enough incomes to be on the free lunch program. I just drive by and see the huge expensive homes and wonder why? Average here would be around 100-140,000.00 about 2 years ago. But there are many 500.000. up to 2.5 million homes. Those are mostly the business owners or doctors who can not afford to pay more to their employees, or buy them insurance. or those who must outsource to afford their life style. I can not help but wonder if everyone will not lose their arses in the end over this except for the top 1% the very well connected rich? maybe the plan is to drive our wages down so we are competitive with China's slave labor? Didn't we fight slave labor already once? I feel so bad for everyone who is lost in this mess.

Comment

I remember hearing stories from my folks who lived through the Depression of how the poor would throw rocks at rich people's cars as they drove down the street.
                I remember many stories of that time that I was told when I was young.
                It must have been a really bad time.
                We aren't even close yet and I hope we don't get there.

Comment

During the great depression, per my dad.... there were no programs to help people. No SS, no welfare, no unemployment, no food pantry's. The people in the streets were dependent upon the working poor, the working middle, churchs, and the very rich. The rate was about 25% unemployment which is not that much higher than our rates today, but having ZERO money makes it really hard. People do not help others as much as they need help in reviewing history or the great depression would not have been much worse than we are now. The missing factor is the programs, and many people lived on farms back then so they could eat at least.

Comment

nc73 what age bracket are you? If you don't _look_ old (eg can pass for 45 or younger) and are senior level technical you can probably find something in northern california san jose / silicon valley area.

It will be contract, no benefits, but the salary should be high enough to do an extended stay hotel while you get a game plan going. I think that's better then alot of folks have going for them right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Penny Less View Post
                      nc73 what age bracket are you? If you don't _look_ old (eg can pass for 45 or younger) and are senior level technical you can probably find something in northern california san jose / silicon valley area.

It will be contract, no benefits, but the salary should be high enough to do an extended stay hotel while you get a game plan going. I think that's better then alot of folks have going for them right now.
                      What happens at one's 46th birthday party to make them unemployable in Silicon Valley?
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Penny Less View Post

I'm 37. I need affordable health insurance though. I can't move as far as CA though. Va will have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                          What happens at one's 46th birthday party to make them unemployable in Silicon Valley?
                          You start to get passed up for interns. I have a friend being asked to do a 3rd internship with the same company...he quit but it was sad because his manager did not have the option of hiring him at all.

Comment

That's right. I'm 47 and worked for an engineering company in IT here in the Bay Area and it happened to me. Saw an ad online by the employer looking for 2 entry positions, looked around the office, saw 1 empty cubicle, and knew it was me going. The young kids will work 10-12 hours a day and they even had one coming in on the weekends too (salary position). I asked for OT pay and was terminated 3 days later.

I owe their CU 7K and it's going to be so sweet...
                            Last edited by OnTheRocks; 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheRocks View Post
                              That's right. I'm 47 and worked for an engineering company in IT here in the Bay Area and it happened to me. Saw an ad online by the employer looking for 2 entry positions, looked around the office, saw 1 empty cubicle, and knew it was me going. The young kids will work 10-12 hours a day and they even had one coming in on the weekends too (salary position). I asked for OT pay and was terminated 3 days later.

I owe their CU 7K and it's going to be so sweet...
                              That's a shame. I guess experience doesn't count for much any more.

Comment

nc73, don't come to Michigan. Our unemployment rate is over 15%. The unemployment numbers are somewhat skewed though. They don't factor in those who's benefits have run out or those, like myself, who can't collect when they loose their job. I work contract with no unemployment compensation if/when the job ends. Dh, a mechanical engineer, lost his job in March. Still unemployed.
                                filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
                                341 meeting 6/4/09
                                DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X