No announcement yet.

Who's looking for work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Startingover - $65K in the DC area is not as much as people think it is. I think the cost of living in that area is pretty much outrageous.

No luck on my interview - they wanted full time nights when I would have no one to watch the kids.

Since I was already in the area filled out an application for TJ Maxx (they run credit checks, oh well). Just have to keep trying, it's all you can do.
    over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
    Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

Originally posted by Ifonly View Post
      Startingover - $65K in the DC area is not as much as people think it is. I think the cost of living in that area is pretty much outrageous.
      This is true. But I told her you have to pay your dues when you are starting out fresh out of collage you can not expect to make the big bucks right away.
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I have been looking for almost two years. I have a decent PT job that I don't want to lose, and would be happy to at least add some more hours--alas, they were cut instead--or pick up a second PT job. But everywhere I go, I get the same message: hours have been cut.

I put in for a FT job in the field I am more than qualified for, but was passed over because of age. I am now 57, and the new hire is 30. This tells me that this employer does not want to employ me with my experience and degree because they would have to pay me commensurate with my experience, though I told them I would work dirt cheap.

Likewise, I have just applied at another situation that I am more than qualified for, and actually worked at several years ago and had to leave for a variety of reasons, but new people, new situation now in place--everything should be an even playing ground, right? Well, it seems that the HR person now in place does not like to hire anyone back that has been previously employed--no matter what reason they left. So if this situation does not work out, I have very little recourse. There are very few jobs in this rural area of Florida, and we 'Hub and I are not able to pick up and move.

And so it goes.......
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
          This is true. But I told her you have to pay your dues when you are starting out fresh out of collage you can not expect to make the big bucks right away.
          Oh, I agree. I made $28,000 as a Clerk with my brand spanking new Public Accounting degree in NYC when I graduated in '92. I just wanted to point that out so no one thinks, "ooo, she's on easy street."

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
            I have been looking for almost two years. I have a decent PT job that I don't want to lose, and would be happy to at least add some more hours--alas, they were cut instead--or pick up a second PT job. But everywhere I go, I get the same message: hours have been cut.

I put in for a FT job in the field I am more than qualified for, but was passed over because of age. I am now 57, and the new hire is 30. This tells me that this employer does not want to employ me with my experience and degree because they would have to pay me commensurate with my experience, though I told them I would work dirt cheap.

Likewise, I have just applied at another situation that I am more than qualified for, and actually worked at several years ago and had to leave for a variety of reasons, but new people, new situation now in place--everything should be an even playing ground, right? Well, it seems that the HR person now in place does not like to hire anyone back that has been previously employed--no matter what reason they left. So if this situation does not work out, I have very little recourse. There are very few jobs in this rural area of Florida, and we 'Hub and I are not able to pick up and move.

And so it goes.......
            I feel your pain, I really do. I think I've received about three phone calls for interviews for FT in my field and all 3 of those jobs were paying at least $20,000 less than what I was making and probably $35,000 less than what they should based on work load and responsibility. I love how in this market they tell you flat out what they're paying before they even have you come in - that used to be a "no no" - I think they know they're trying to get people for a song and a dance. Being the second income in the family and having to factor in day care - making $20,000 less simply isn't possible. I pay THEM to go to work and sacrifice time with my children.

I'm looking PT at retail, restaurants, bookkeeping, admin. assistant, office clerk - anything. I've told people that I'll work for $8 - $10/hour - nothing. There was always very few white collar jobs in this area - you had to commute to Jersey, Allentown, Philly or New York - now there aren't ANY jobs.

We just have to keep trucking. BTW, doesn't living in this situation make you want to smack a certain poster who keeps "ooo, go get a second job. Work harder." Dude, people can't even get first jobs in this market. Maybe we could get a job as that poster's plumber since their head is stuck up their a**.

Comment

I'm scared when I saw the article on unemployment today...Might need to rethink moving....
              Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I have been looking for work for the past 5 months and getting no where. I have even come to the conclusion that I would work at a GNC store or some thing in that nature that pays minimum wage but still no progress. My backing is Sales, mostly financial sales but when the economy bombed so did my career. Out of the whole year I have worked a wopping 3 months
                9/22/2009 - officially filed chapter 7
                11/03/2009 - scheduled 341 - COMPLETED
                01/04/2010 - last day for objections
                01/11/2010 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

I guess sales and retail work are scarce. I wonder what the unemployment data would look like if they categorized it by profession. I suppose the financial sector jobs would be most obvious. I'd also like to know what other professions but I suppose it all trickles down and everyone will eventually be affected.

Comment

I am really wanting to change my career... well, I will have too. I am in banking, and we are planning on moving. I would say if they do a credit check, I am done and they probably will. So, I need to move into a new field. What options are out there in AZ now? Maybe healthcare.... banking is really getting to me anyhow. I deal with wealthy people and they want everything for nothing. It is really hard for me to watch others pay for overdrafts, or stop pays, and the rich get the fees waived. I also get tried of hearing them complain about the economy while talking about their trip to spain last month when there are people who can not afford to visit a doctor. I don't hate them, I just think they are out of touch. What would be a good field, I am almost 60 too.

Comment

I am starting school on Monday at 36 for medical assisting... I am excited and sooooo nervous... I have been out of school for a long time... I will graduate in July.. if I can do it anyone can! Momisery... what are your interests?? I use to be a cna before I had kids... and now they are all in school (all 6 of them finally!) and am loooking forward to working again ...
                      chpt 13 11/25/08 converted 7/7/09 to a 7. No assests and surrendered vehicles...
                      9/2009 Scores 515-565 & working up from here...10/9 they havent budged yet....why does our puppy & bk lawyer have the same name...lol Discharged 10/28/09 now the real work begins

Comment

I got replaced at work by a younger employee a year ago. I was working for an engineering company in the Bay Area, California. I have seen three jobs since then that were alright and several unpaid internships/volunteer positions. ..Still looking... No interviews.

Comment

I wanted to be a nurse, but was never able too. I did work as a CNA years ago, and I mean years ago. Then I did staff for a hospital. I have taken some medical term. classes 3 or 4 years ago. I might do that again and training.. but the age is what is bothering me..... many will not hire me.

Comment

Update, my daughter and son-in-law have given up. They are so far behind on everything I took them to my attorney last week.
                            They well be moving up here with us from Phoenix and my son-in-law will have to quit his job that he was worried about anyway.
                            They will both have to find work here someday, but in the meantime we can put a roof over their heads (and our 3rd grandchild) and put food on the table and such until they can start over.
                            I suspect that many will be in this situation soon if they are not already.
                            We are even considering down the road just buying a peice of property that we can all live in that is bigger than our rental now and that we can leave to them someday.
                            Times are tough folks, hang in there!

Comment

Have been doing handyman and light construction work under the table to supplement my loss of overtime hours and bonuses at my real job. Am also getting laid off in December due to poor economy and lack of orders at our plant. There's that "due to economic conditions" phrase I kept getting in my cc statements before I filed chapter 13!

The government and media are blowing smoke people! They figure if they keep telling us things are getting better it might work. The industrial base and middle class lifestyle are fading faster than bad stocks on Wall Street!
                              Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Well when I get to the states I will be doing 1099 work. It's at least something. I don't think I will find work very fast. Will just have to see. Although I feel stupid for wanting to quit my current job.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X