How To Block Ads While Browsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To Block Ads While Browsing

It seems like we periodically get a thread regarding the annoying ads that appear here and elsewhere. I thought I'd post this as a separate thread (a potential sticky?)
    Last edited by Minnymouth; 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM. Reason: ADS PAY FOR OUR FORUM - FORUM IS FREE

I did it and it took out almost all of the ads. I only see one now, thanks!

Comment

I'm not fond of "push" internet ads either, but the ads here allow membership on this forum to remain free of charge. Not such a bad trade off when you think about it. In fact, clicking on 1-2 of the non-spam'ish' ads periodically will send a few more dollars to our forum owner/administrator and keep the forum free for everyone in the future too.

Just another point of view about the ads. They aren't evil - just a means to a desirable end. It's easy to learn to ignore them.
      I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Ad placement is an issue. Sometimes the ads are in the middle of a thread, sometimes they look like a thread posting. If the ads were in the header, footer or even just the margins it wouldn't be such an issue.

The only ad I have left is the "Get Your FICO score" ad in the header. I'll be sure to click it a couple of times for good measure

Comment

Also ads will pop up relating to various discussions. I once responded to someone on here regarding carpenter ants (my mother had a bad infestation of them in her porch roof one time) and after I submitted the response. all sorts of pest control and related ads appeared! So it can get interesting...I click on ads now and then and if you post in the general forum, you get more of the non-related financial BK ads appear which some folks may find of interest.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

The Google ads are very ingenious. They analyze where YOU are and the body text of the thread and place ads specific to the subject and location. Some times I will be seeing an ad different than what you see on the same thread. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
              The Google ads are very ingenious. They analyze where YOU are and the body text of the thread and place ads specific to the subject and location. Some times I will be seeing an ad different than what you see on the same thread. 'Hub
              Yep, I live in one state and work in another. When I have the chance to log in from work, the ads relate to businesses in that state; when I am home, the ads relate to businesses in my state.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Funny, I don't get any pop up ads and all I have is Google pop up blocker and it works well.

Comment

The ad I find annoying here is the Google box that appears on the right side of some posts.

Frequently (especially when there's a quote in the post) the ad appears over the text, rather that having the text wrap around it. So I can't read the whole post.

A few things in the code need to be tweaked to ensure it wraps properly...

Comment

I'll gladly keep the ads if it means we get a quality forum like this for no charge!
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Since "ADS" are the backbone of our Forum so it can be FREE, I deleted the "how to eliminate ads" links.
                      If you personally know how to eliminate ads, do it on your own computer, but do not post a link here on the forum for everyone else.
                      If we have no "ads" - WE HAVE NO FORUM.
                      If I were sponsoring this forum with an "ad"...... and I saw links on "how to block ads" listed on the forum...... I would be very upset.
                      The ads are our sponsors, whether we use them or not. Some of us do, some of us don't.
                      If we don't have "sponsors" - our Forum will not exist........

Minny
                      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth View Post
                        Since "ADS" are the backbone of our Forum so it can be FREE, I deleted the "how to eliminate ads" links.
                        If you personally know how to eliminate ads, do it on your own computer, but do not post a link here on the forum for everyone else.
                        If we have no "ads" - WE HAVE NO FORUM.
                        If I were sponsoring this forum with an "ad"...... and I saw links on "how to block ads" listed on the forum...... I would be very upset.
                        The ads are our sponsors, whether we use them or not. Some of us do, some of us don't.
                        If we don't have "sponsors" - our Forum will not exist........

Minny

I Totally Agree With Minnymouth!! The ads are not a nuisance to me. I'm just thankful there is such a Bankruptcy Forum which is chocked full of the Best Information on the Web and its FREE!! Why? Because of the Ads.

Wonderful Bankruptcy Forum!

Luci

Comment

The ads only generate revenue when clicked. But, if the mods would rather slog through frequent, numerous posts complaining about inappropriate and insulting ads with the belief that doing so is the best method of funding our beloved forum, and that said ads aren't so annoying that they discourage further participation by potentially benevolent and helpful newcomers, who am I to opine otherwise?

Blessings to all.

Comment

You could always create your own ad-free forum dealing with bankruptcy.
                            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                              The ads only generate revenue when clicked. But, if the mods would rather slog through frequent, numerous posts complaining about inappropriate and insulting ads with the belief that doing so is the best method of funding our beloved forum, and that said ads aren't so annoying that they discourage further participation by potentially benevolent and helpful newcomers, who am I to opine otherwise?

Blessings to all.
                              I'm sure the admins/mods would be more than happy to run an ad-free forum if you're willing to pay for it.

Sort of like the difference between normal tv and HBO. If you want the "free" tv, be ready to watch the commercials.
                              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X