Overdraft Protection pre-BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overdraft Protection pre-BK

When I got a new checking account (to be safe to move from credit union to regular bank), I didn't apply for the overdraft protection/credit. Would it "look" bad if I applied for it pre-BK?

I have no intention of using it but just want a safety net. But, I had a check clear in the morning before a paycheck came in and had a $2 overdraft that cost me $31.

I don't know how bad it would look getting it now, but figure after BK, I figure they wouldn't give it to me with lousy credit/BK on record.

Any suggestions?
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

As long as you have no outstanding balance on the date of filing, it's okay to get it, and you don't have to tell the bankruptcy court about it, either (as with any zero balance line of credit).

But keep in mind, though, that even with ODP, your bank can and will charge you an NSF fee for every overdraft. It might be the full $31 or it might be less...but they can and still will make money off of you, even if you have ODP.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. My posts are not legal advice. They are for information only. Please feel free to use them in an academic sense, as I simply wish to share with you what I have learned/researched.

Comment

Call and tell them that you meant to set it up when you opened your account and thought you had...... when you got the overdraft you realized you hadn't and needed to set that safety feature up if possible....

All they can do is tell you NO.....
      Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Use Minnymouth's argument and ask them also to please remove the overdraft fee.

They may do so they may not, but it never hurts to ask.
        Filed: 10/26/2006
        Discharged: 03/05/2007
        Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

She says I have $800 overdraft protection, but $31 fee for using it. Says I can get a small line of credit (i.e. 500 or 1000) that wouldn't have a fee, but just interest if I went into it.

Do you think that's okay to have (and not use)?

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

I would think its always good to HAVE if you CAN GET. For BACK UP PURPOSES !

Good Luck CMIYC
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Well, I went, but did not get. LOC requires premium checking which has fees. And then LOC fees are $20/mo and $35/yr. Give me a break! An overdraft fee is cheaper.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X