Some States May Ban Credit Checks for Employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momisery View Post
    Another "great" tool they are using is personality testing too. I have never passed one yet, but I have worked for decades never missing work, always early always doing extra and my co-workers love me. The loss of course is not to me, but to those who pass me over due to their dumb tests. But it does hurt some people. When hubby was laid off over and over again he was pretty depressed. He had worked in his industry all his life, and did F&I and was a sales manager for decades, proven and seasoned. The car business is always cutting someone, so he was not too worried until he realized there were few jobs due to the recession. One of the larger companies in this are does personality tests. They tested him, after having a great interview where the GM wanted to hire him. The GM had to call him back and tell him he couldn't because of the dumb test. The GM was not happy about it, and hubby was destroyed.. So, his life is old, can't pass that test, the recession, and now his BK.... slap slap slap.. no wonder the guy about had a heart attack.
    How does one pass a personality test? Or better yet, how does one NOT pass a personality test?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
      How does one pass a personality test? Or better yet, how does one NOT pass a personality test?
      Personality traits that are provided don't match an employer's standards (whatever they are).
      Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza View Post
        Personality traits that are provided don't match an employer's standards (whatever they are).
        It is not possible to pass or fail a personality test. The test is administered as a tool to determine one's personality profile. There is no pass or fail. There is merely a result.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

It is not possible to pass or fail a personality test. The test is administered as a tool to determine one's personality profile. There is no pass or fail. There is merely a result.
          Yes, but if your profile does not match the employer's desired profile for that particular position, then for all practical purposes, you will have "failed" the personality test because you will be screened out for the job.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

A negative 'result' would be the same as 'failing' for all practical purposes. Momisery got the point across, regardless of the precise terminology.
            Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

So one can fail to get a job based on one's personality as determined by a standardized test. This does not qualify as passing or failing the test.

How typical is it for an employer to use standardized personality tests to determine one's ability to perform a job? I've never taken one as a condition for employment.

Comment

So one can fail to get a job based on one's personality as determined by a standardized test. This does not qualify as passing or failing the test.

How typical is it for an employer to use standardized personality tests to determine one's ability to perform a job? I've never taken one as a condition for employment.
                Personality profiling is a very common occurrence on Wall Street. I, and everyone I worked with had some sort of profiling done at some point in our careers.

I am not sure why you are quibbling about the semantics of what it means to "fail" a personality test. If you want a job, and your psychological profile deems you unsuitable for that job, then you have "failed" at your goal of getting that job. Where is the confusion?

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                  Personality profiling is a very common occurrence on Wall Street. I, and everyone I worked with had some sort of profiling done at some point in our careers.

I am not sure why you are quibbling about the semantics of what it means to "fail" a personality test. If you want a job, and your psychological profile deems you unsuitable for that job, then you have "failed" at your goal of getting that job. Where is the confusion?
                  I'm not sure why you are quibbling about those semantics either.

There is no way to fail a personality test. One is only classified by such a test.

Let us say the test determines one is a sociopath and the employer hires that individual. Did the test taker pass or fail the test?

Comment

I'm not sure why you are quibbling about those semantics either.

There is no way to fail a personality test. One is only classified by such a test.

Let us say the test determines one is a sociopath and the employer hires that individual. Did the test taker pass or fail the test?
                    In my interpretation, the test taker passed the test. The test results aided the test taker in achieving the goal of employment in a certain position, and the test taker's sociopath profile was the perfect fit for that position. An epic win!

Comment

It's a fairly common practice, often disguised as a survey, generally to show how you feel about staying overtime, how much initiative you have, what your sense of entitlement is, and other 'quirks' that employers take into consideration before hiring.

No, it's not a pass/fail as far as a 'test' is concerned, but you may 'fail' to get the job as a result (as backtoschool mentioned).

More collectively, these background/credit/physical/personality, etc etc.. checks are used as a large body of evidence against hiring 90 of the 100 candidates. Some information is relevant, some not so much. Now if the position you are applying for only has 2 or 3 appicants, your bad credit may be compared against 1 felony and 1 verified lie about a degree. Generally, however, there are many applicants these days, and checks are a cheap way to shred a pile of applications without reading further into the applicants. YMMV.

Comment

I am not sure...lol... The tests all differ, and we looked them up on line. They ask a lot of question to determine if you are a good "fit" for the job you have been doing for 20 years when you apply for one just like the one you are doing.. or maybe to see if you fit their corporate culture. Our best friend who was a GM for dealerships for years could not pass them either, but he is still at his job knocking em dead as dealerships go. And my old boss here at this job flunked his, so they had to "tutor" him to help him pass so he could keep his job.. lol... You can find a lot about them on the internet... many companies use them and many in the past say they don't work, while a few others like the Hunt family says they do... hunt as in dealerships.. not catsup... lol

Comment

It is happening, as I have mentioned.. in fact petsmart use to give them and the person I know that applied had help passing it so she could get the job.. totally dumb tests. People who are doing the jobs can not pass them in many cases, and people who have done like jobs are also failing them.. and yes, by failling I mean failing to qualify for the job. When they really like you, and then have to pass you over because corporate says you must pass the test, or match the qualities they are looking for, something is wrong. His background was great, held his gross, improve performance and has years under his belt.. at the time our credit was great too.. but poof the job offer was gone due to the test... The GM really wanted him too... and he would still be there, and I would not be posting on this board because we would have paid our bills ...

Comment

Depends ... did they get the job? If they did not get the job then they failed to pass the personality test in a manner that the end result would be a job. If he would have gotten the job he would have passed it.. basically sematics is picking at scabs..... the end result is failing to get the job because of the test so it is a failure..

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
                              Depends ... did they get the job? If they did not get the job then they failed to pass the personality test in a manner that the end result would be a job. If he would have gotten the job he would have passed it.. basically sematics is picking at scabs..... the end result is failing to get the job because of the test so it is a failure..
                              Which leads to.. GUESS WHAT.. LYING!! The big no-no in the job search.

Sure, I love staying overtime
                              I love it when the boss control me
                              I *REALLY* enjoy low pay and no chance at promotion
                              I would never file a lawsuit if the chemicals gave me cancer
                              I never go to lunch at an awkward time
                              I would leave my child unattended to do this job
                              blah blah blah blah blah

Don't stand facing the wind....

Comment

I would much rather be subjected to a personality test that a credit check. You may have the knowledge to do a job, but you may have the personality that will cause issues in getting the job done. I.E. Sales people have to be outgoing and not introverted.

whether you filed bankruptcy or not should have no bearing on hiring. And if the company you are applying to or it predecessor has filed bankruptcy even more so. That's kind of hypocritical for a company that at some point in it's history to have a bankruptcy, yet not hire people because they have a bankruptcy on record or bad credit.
                                March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
                                Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X