Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some States May Ban Credit Checks for Employment

March 1, 2010

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – It's hard enough to find a job in this economy, and now some people are facing another hurdle: Potential employers are holding their credit histories against them.

Sixty percent of employers recently surveyed by the Society for Human Resources Management said they run credit checks on at least some job applicants, compared with 42 percent in a somewhat similar survey in 2006.

Employers say such checks give them valuable information about an applicant's honesty and sense of responsibility. But lawmakers in at least 16 states from South Carolina to Oregon have proposed outlawing most credit checks, saying the practice traps people in debt because their past financial problems prevent them from finding work.

Wisconsin state Rep. Kim Hixson drafted a bill in his state shortly after hearing from Terry Becker, an auto mechanic who struggled to find work.

Becker said it all started with medical bills that piled up when his now 10-year-old son began having seizures as a toddler. In the first year alone, Becker ran up $25,000 in medical debt.

Over 4 1/2 months, he was turned down for at least eight positions for which he had authorized the employer to conduct a credit check, Becker said. He said one potential employer told him, "If your credit is bad, then you'll steal from me."

"I was in a deep depression. I had lost a business, I was behind on my bills and I was unable to get a job," he said.

Hixson calls what happened to Becker discrimination based on credit history and said his bill would ban it.

"If somebody is trying to get a job as a truck driver or a trainer in a gym, what does your credit history have to do with your ability to do that job?" Hixson said. He said he knows of no research that shows a person with a bad credit history is going to perform poorly.

Under federal law, prospective employers must get written permission from applicants to run a credit check on them. But consumer advocates say most job applicants do not feel they are in a position to say no.

Most of the bills being proposed this year resemble laws in Hawaii and Washington that prevent employers from using credit reports when hiring for most positions. The laws contain exceptions in cases where such information could be relevant to the job — for example, if the person is applying to work in a bank or an accounts-payable office.

On a national level, Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., introduced a similar bill last summer in Congress, where it is still bottled up in committee.

Even though more companies are using credit checks, only 13 percent perform them on all potential hires, according to the Society for Human Resources Management's most recent survey. Mike Aitken, the group's director of government affairs, said a blanket ban could remove a tool employers can use to help them make good hiring decisions.

Aitken pointed to a 2008 survey by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners that found the two most common red flags for employees who commit workplace fraud are living beyond their means and having difficulty meeting financial obligations. The same survey estimated American companies lost $994 billion to workplace fraud in 2008.

Aitken said someone who cannot pay his or her bills on time may not be more likely to steal, but might not have the maturity or sense of responsibility to handle a job like processing payroll checks.

In Maryland, where the state Chamber of Commerce opposes a bill banning most credit checks, employers at a recent legislative hearing said they are not interested in applicants' credit scores.

Instead, they said, they are concerned about things like debt collections and legal judgments rather than poor credit because of medical bills or school loans. They also said companies give job applicants a chance to explain their credit problems.

Last year California lawmakers voted to curb the use of such checks, but Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger vetoed the bill under pressure from Chamber of Commerce leaders who called it a "job-killer."

But Maryland Delegate Kirill Reznik, who drafted the bill being considered in his state, said people struggling to get jobs need help.

"We are in the great recession and this creates a vicious cycle," Reznik said. "People lose their jobs, that naturally precipitates them getting behind on bills, their credit scores go down, they are trying to find a job to pay off the bills, and employers won't hire them because of their credit score."

Maryland public school employee Jen Harwood said running credit checks on job applicants "perpetuates the divide between the haves and the have-nots."

"If you continue digging into people's past and not looking into what people have to give today, you are making a bigger divide," Harwood said.

Consumer advocacy groups are also lining up behind the legislation, pointing out that credit reports can contain inaccurate information.

Becker, the Milton, Wis., resident with bad credit, has found work dismantling cars at an auto recycling company that did not ask to run a credit check. He worries, though, about friends in the auto industry are looking for work and coming up empty-handed because of credit problems.

"It just seems like once you fall behind, you're behind," he said. "It's really hard to get back on the right financial track."

--------------------------

Hey... it's a start.
    Last edited by AngelinaCat; 03-01-2010, 03:37 PM. Reason: To have the article conform to formatting rules for this board.
    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Other than the obvious discriminatory bases such as race, gender, handicap and religion I can't see why we would force an employer to not use a tool such as credit report if they so desire.
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
      Other than the obvious discriminatory bases such as race, gender, handicap and religion I can't see why we would force an employer to not use a tool such as credit report if they so desire.
      Because someone who had perfect credit for years, lost their job or became ill, and lost their good credit standing is treated no differently than someone who robs or steals identities.

The standard practice of running credit checks for employment leaves many people stuck in destitution for a long, long time. People need options or they can't get back on track again.
      Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Gee what are my chances of finding an employer that doesn't do credit checks in Va...probably none.
        Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I think this is a good idea, I mean I have been underwater for a while, and then the BK and never once did I even consider taking anyones money and I work at a bank and had access to do just that. If I was a thief I would not be in BK then would I?? Madoff could be hired but I could not be due to my Credit report. They simply need to make the check illegal for all businesses. If I am a risk, I would have a criminal record end of story!

Comment

Originally posted by momisery View Post
            I think this is a good idea, I mean I have been underwater for a while, and then the BK and never once did I even consider taking anyones money and I work at a bank and had access to do just that. If I was a thief I would not be in BK then would I?? Madoff could be hired but I could not be due to my Credit report. They simply need to make the check illegal for all businesses. If I am a risk, I would have a criminal record end of story!
            Well, the issue has been tossed around in several states (including mine), and at the very least, the concept is catching on. It has a lot to do with the high unemployment rate and the diminishing middle class, we can be sure of that. My credit was excellent until my job went overseas, my UI benefits ran out, and the bills forgot to disappear; and I'm sure my story isn't that unique these days.

Comment

momisery is ABSOLUTELY right. they should be allowed to run a criminal background check, maybe a chexsystem check, but definitely not a credit check. credit has absolutely nothing to do with the ability to do almost any job. maybe someone with bad credit shouldn't be hired at a firm helping people reduce their debts (though the real crooks work exactly there!). but for any other job, including jobs where you handle money, a bad credit says nothing about suitability for the job. nothing.
              filed ch7 May 09
              341 june 09
              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

About time. It's insulting to be treated as untrustworthy or a bigger "risk" just because one's be hit bad circumstances beyond their control.

Comment

I happen to know a lot of coworkers with great credit that are on edge because of their heavy debt burden and their performance sucks!

I think this is a good idea in these difficult times. All we need are politicians that will get out of the way with their expensive programs so we can see some job creation otherwise this good idea won't do much.
                  The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeIn2010 View Post
                    About time. It's insulting to be treated as untrustworthy or a bigger "risk" just because one's be hit bad circumstances beyond their control.
                    yeah, especially when they are being treated like that by banks who have been more irresponsible with money than anybody.
                    filed ch7 May 09
                    341 june 09

Comment

The elimination of credit and background checks will open the doors further for more of those in this country illegally to obtain more positions. I don't think any checks should be eliminated, I believe the discriminatory factor should be lessened for those that had to file BK for medical or job loss reasons and are not serial filers

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

i don't see how a credit check is related to illegal immigrants. i guess if someone forged a social security number, you could find it through a credit check. but you could also verify an SS# in other ways.

it won't be possible to lessen the discriminatory factors. once an employer has the info, they use it in whatever way they want, legal or not.
                        filed ch7 May 09
                        341 june 09

Comment

If potential employees should submit to a credit check then the same thinking should apply to people that file bankruptcy. BK'rs should not be allowed to ever have credit again. We have already proved we can not handle credit? So, is it still fair?

Comment

A credit check won't work for illegals; they have no SSNs and therefore it is highly likely that they have no records.

Background checks, I am all for. You don't want a convicted child molester landing a job as a teacher, or a bank robber to work accounts receivable. You don't want any felon to work in sensitive positions (ironic that they all work in collections). However, a few late payments or a BK does not mean someone is likely to steal. If I thought that way, I wouldn't be late now, would I? I would have embezzled my way out of debt.

Now if only they would eliminate this for insurance. I paid cash for my last repair and have crummy credit thanks to the CLDs and other factors. BK should make insurance completely unaffordable.
                            First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

If an employer becomes barred from using credit history to hire an employee then it seems reasonable to me that employees can not quit working for an employer who ends up filing bankruptcy itself.
                              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X