Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Card Companies Go to War Against Losses

February 1, 2009

The suffering credit card industry wants some of you to help bail it out.

In the last year or so, card issuers have raised interest rates, added new fees, lowered credit limits and even shut down accounts altogether. As unemployment has risen, so have the number of people who are paying their credit card bills late or not paying them at all. So the companies are deploying every weapon they have to shield themselves from further losses.

They’re also scaling back their offers to new cardholders. According to new data from Synovate Mail Monitor, card companies sent 27 percent fewer solicitations to consumers in 2008 than they did in 2007.

Given the wildly divergent approaches that card companies seem to be taking, it’s worth taking a closer look at what rules they’re changing, which customers they’re targeting and if there’s anything you can do to avoid drawing their attention.

INTEREST RATE INCREASES In the past, card companies might raise your interest rate because you paid late, or because it checked your credit report and saw that you were paying other companies late. New federal rules set to go in effect next year, however, restrict their ability to do this. So many companies are raising rates now, while they can.

This runs the risk of making monthly payments unaffordable for some customers and driving good ones away, but card companies seem to be willing to take that risk with large groups of cardholders. Citigroup’s card unit, for one, has engaged in what it describes as “portfolio-wide” repricing, raising rates a couple of percentage points.

Unfortunately, when companies raise rates for everyone, there is little you can do to avoid the increase. Better, then, to stop carrying a balance on those cards, if at all possible.

The latest Federal Reserve data from November shows that average credit card interest rates have actually fallen about a percentage point in the last year or so, though those numbers may not yet reflect many of the most recent rate increases.

LOWER CREDIT LIMITS When you apply for a credit card, a computer generally assigns how much credit you should get. Another one might raise it, without you even asking. So it’s not surprising that in troubled times, banks are taking a second look.

“If I’ve lent you $100, there’s not much I can do about that,” said Odysseas Papadimitriou, who worked in the card industry at Capital One before starting Evolution Finance, parent company of Cardhub.com, a Web site that compares consumer cards. “But if I’ve extended you a line of credit, then I can take that away and minimize that risk.”

Meredith Whitney, the banking analyst at Oppenheimer & Company, recently predicted that card companies would reduce credit lines by $2 trillion, or about 45 percent of all available credit, in the next 18 months.

Here, cardholders have a bit more control. In reducing credit lines, companies may be looking for people who are already using a large percentage of their available credit. Try to avoid doing this if possible.

NEW FEES Several years ago, Martin Rodriguez, a resident of Quincy, Mass., transferred balances onto two Chase credit cards in response to offers promising low interest for the life of the loan. Recently, however, Chase sent him a note informing him that he would need to raise his monthly payments and turn over a $10 monthly fee to keep the low rates on his $20,000 in debt.

To Mr. Rodriguez, “life of the loan” ought to mean just that. “I’m searching for a legal boundary here,” he said. “If you read the fine print, I would have been better off going to Tony Soprano for a loan.”

Paul Hartwick, a Chase spokesman, said in an e-mail message that the terms and conditions of the card allowed the company to make such a change. He also said that these changes affected less than one half of 1 percent of its accounts and were aimed at those who had carried large balances for more than two years while making little progress in paying them off.

But Robert J. Lahm Jr., who lives in Candler, N.C., said that he had paid off almost half his Chase balance and still got the same notice as Mr. Rodriguez. And besides, he argued, any prudent person would delay paying off this sort of permanent low-rate loan, as he had while repaying higher-interest student loans he took on while completing his doctorate.

Mr. Hartwick said he stood by his statement and declined to comment on a class-action lawsuit that was filed in California this week over the issue.

SHUTTERED ACCOUNTS Beyond raising rates or adding fees, some banks are simply shutting down accounts. Discover, for instance, has already closed three million accounts that its customers haven’t used much recently and is moving to close another one million to two million.

Card companies worry that the primary — perhaps the only — reason customers scramble through their drawers for an old card is that they are in some kind of financial trouble. This may be true, but plenty of responsible people keep unused cards because accounts of long standing help improve your credit score.

Edgar Dworsky, who runs consumerworld.org, said his Advanta and Citibank cards were shut down in October because of inactivity. “You almost want to know what the minimal usage is — once a month? — that will allow you to be O.K.,” he said. “I’m not sure there’s anyone who has the right answer.”

John Ulzheimer, president of consumer education for credit.com, said that it would probably depend on the company and that it was a difficult time to try to predict any of the companies’ rules given how much they all were suffering. Right now, even some card usage may not be enough.

Curtis Arnold, the founder of cardratings.com, said he arranges to charge a recurring bill automatically each month to the accounts that he wants to remain active.

Source:
    New York Times
    RON LIEBER
    Last edited by Flamingo; 02-01-2009, 03:56 PM. Reason: To confirm to forum posting rules

I keep trying to impress this on everyone I know. The numbers you have for CL and interest rates are mythical. They mean nothing anymore.

The real tragedy is that for some people they are going to be put in a death spiral. The CL will get cut, utilization will go up resulting in more CL an interest jacks, and they will soon find themselves in BK regardless, even if they may have survived the storm otherwise.
    So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
    Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
    Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
    And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dst1 View Post
      I keep trying to impress this on everyone I know. The numbers you have for CL and interest rates are mythical. They mean nothing anymore.

The real tragedy is that for some people they are going to be put in a death spiral. The CL will get cut, utilization will go up resulting in more CL an interest jacks, and they will soon find themselves in BK regardless, even if they may have survived the storm otherwise

I agree. There seems to be no more 'underwriting' of credit. Its more like the cc co's grab what they can while they can knowing that X% will file BK, X% will pay and X% will be delinquent and generate fee income! Its a crazy economic world where real numbers seem to have no place!
      Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
      Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Whew! Looks like a good time to be checking out...
        BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

Over all, very good thread. I believe our situation is a correction long overdue. The Credit Card industry, has in fact taken advantage of us, you, and me. That is no excuse for our own irresponsibility. We bought it, we could not pay for it then, and we ‘carded’ it. They just took a bit of our wealth/life with it.

Buying JUNK on credit cards is mortgaging your future life, as when you work for a wage, you rent your time and talent to get a greenback. If you spend it unwisely, you lose this part of your time/life. Interest is a great “life stealer”. The best way not to be taken advantage of, is don’t use the system. CASH only or you DO NOT NEED IT!!

My secret, how not to bounce a check. When they run out, don’t reorder a supply. ‘Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Very well said.

Probably one of the best points I have seen regarding the use of credit.
            My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
            posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Yes this will be a period of readjustment.

I used to have a friend I roomed with out west when I lived there. I always kinda thought he was a bit crazy, but you know he was ahead of his time. He knew this was coming. He saw credit cards as a trap, said that the whole idea was to get you into the game then pull the rug out from under you and in a sense that's the game they've played.

Every major religion in the world teaches against debt. Considering the majority of people on this planet are religious one wonders how this debt system even came about, because if we'd all adhered to the teachings of our scriptures a bit more we wouldn't have any debt.

Now sadly in about 5 years will come the next great problem, hyperinflation. Most items have doubled in price in the last 30 years, look for them to double again in the next 5 years. The money supply since 2000 has already tripled and that's before the current stimulus package......
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

BOA just cut off my line of credit account. I have a zero balance and a credit line of $18K. Consequently further increasing my credit utilization ratio. I also noticed everyone under the sun is increasing fees and rates.

I really hope this behavior backfires forcing more people into ch 7 bankruptcy so they, the creditors, get nothing. The other thing is that they are consequently also affecting those who can pay their bills and have low balances and no debt. What is they old saying, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. They are just pushing and turning more and more people off from using credit. After all this mess is over I don't think I or many will ever use credit for non-essential items again. When you think about it, thank you banks.

I believe the CC companies assume that the average American is a fool and can be played so accordingly. But as they say, elephants have a very long memory.
                My comments are solely based on my opinion. The information and links that I have
                posted are provided solely for informational purposes, and do not constitute legal advice

Comment

Sorry to hear Shabam .

In the long run they all make us hate em enough maybe they'll go out of business or clean up their acts.

Comment

Originally posted by shabam View Post
                    BOA just cut off my line of credit account. I have a zero balance and a credit line of $18K. Consequently further increasing my credit utilization ratio. I also noticed everyone under the sun is increasing fees and rates.

I really hope this behavior backfires forcing more people into ch 7 bankruptcy so they, the creditors, get nothing. The other thing is that they are consequently also affecting those who can pay their bills and have low balances and no debt. What is they old saying, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves. They are just pushing and turning more and more people off from using credit. After all this mess is over I don't think I or many will ever use credit for non-essential items again. When you think about it, thank you banks.

I believe the CC companies assume that the average American is a fool and can be played so accordingly. But as they say, elephants have a very long memory.
                    I am sorry to hear about your credit line being cut off. But I am hearing that everywhere. In fact on some of the boards it is the people that have the highest credit scores (over 750) with zero balances that are most affected because the cc's have determined they can not make enough money from responsible use of credit. It seems that if you do not use the line they do not want to have it available to you!

Your second paragraph is dead on - they are creating their own issues. And it is up to us not to participate any further. It was a hard lesson to learn, but in the end, BK was the best option to learn it. IMHO.
                    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

The ccs started this some time ago. This happened to me and I went into the aforementioned death cycle. I am seriously considering leaving the country.

Comment

I can see a day coming in which credit cards will be non-existant like they were before the 20th century began.
                        Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                          I can see a day coming in which credit cards will be non-existant like they were before the 20th century began.
                          I agree... I think we'll see store 'layaway' making a comeback, in some form, as opposed to people just throwing whatever on credit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJohn View Post
                            A good day it'll be

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X