Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 Means Test Exempt due to Business Debt

Hi,

I am curious if anyone has personal experience with this - utilizing a Chapter 7 vs a Chapter 13 because over 50% of debt is business debt. Is this possible or a common option? Long story short, my mid sized business has failed and has over $1 million in personally guaranteed debt which is more than all consumer debt (including two mortgages, second mortgage, car loan, all credit cards student loans and medical debt). High income W2 earner ($200K+) family of 5 with small children in NC.

Yes. I have personal experience.

The exception to the Means Test for "primary business debt" (PBD) debtors is used much less frequently than those escaping the need to file the Means Test who are under-the-median income. Well technically everyone, even the under-the-median and PDB debtors, must file Form B122A-1 which calculates current monthly income. The only exception to the calculation of current monthly income (on that Form 122A-1) is for those that have qualified military service (which may change one day).

If you are a PDB debtor, then you'd file B122A-1Supp which you would submit along with that Form 122A-1 with no presumption of abuse.

I had no problems when I had investment properties when I filed that exceeded my primary residence, cars, and loans. I am also a high income earner in your pay neighborhood, with, at the time, 2 children under 18 and a non-working spouse. The United States Trustee (UST) never questioned my Chapter 7, even though it was a conversion from a Chapter 13. Regardless, I still had negative disposable monthly income ($2,000+ in the negative) and I still opted to file a new equivalent B122-A-1 (Calculation of Current Monthly Income) as it was somewhat unknown if a debtor converting from Chapter 13 had to file a new Means Test in my district.

I would think that you would definitely get on the UST's radar and they are going to check your numbers. Just make sure you hire an attorney that has done their fair share of non-consumer Chapter 7 filings. You will likely need to prove that you indeed have those guarantees, they are recourse loans, and that the amount is in fact > 51% of your personal debt. In many districts, income tax is not counted as personal debt and I know that helped me as well since I had $$$ of IRS debt.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Wow, I really appreciate the detailed answer. I’ve never seen the monthly income form before, that is very helpful. A big dilemma to filing a Chapter 7 is we do have “assets” (no real equity, they have mortgages and second mortgages and loans attached) and personally guaranteed SBA liens. I’ll have to figure out how to navigate that. Out of curiosity, did the original Chapter 13 not work out for you and then you decided on a 7?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X