top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

credit counseling- any thats strictly online for ohio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit counseling- any thats strictly online for ohio?

I need to take the course and REALLY dont wanna talk on the phone

any recommendations? thanks

I don't think any are strictly online. In the online programs, you go through a tutorial about bankruptcy and enter your financial and budget info online, but then you have to talk to a counselor to go over what you entered. The telephone part took me less than 10 minutes. The counselor told me which of my expenses are higher than the BK means test amounts and suggested I cut back in those areas and made suggestions for cutting back like cook meals at home instead of eating out and using coupons. Yeah, I already do those things. She promised to email me links to websites with coupons, but didn't. The whole thing was painless and quick, but pretty useless. She asked me at the end whether I learned a lot from the program. I told her no, I educated myself regarding bankruptcy BEFORE I decided to file. The info was very basic. What a waste of money! Find the cheapest one you can and get it over with.

By the way, I used Springboard who is approved in Ohio. I paid $45. There is a thread here somewhere where people said they paid less, as low as $15 I think. So, shop around.
    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 05-11-2010, 12:33 PM.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

thats what i figured! Im just a chicken! lol
      how do I find the cheap ones that are accepted in my area?
      we are in brown county Ohio
      the ones my attorney rec. are $75 a couple for the pre ones!

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
      I don't think any are strictly online. In the online programs, you go through a tutorial about bankruptcy and enter your financial and budget info online, but then you have to talk to a counselor to go over what you entered. The telephone part took me less than 10 minutes. The counselor told me which of my expenses are higher than the BK means test amounts and suggested I cut back in those areas and made suggestions for cutting back like cook meals at home instead of eating out and using coupons. Yeah, I already do those things. She promised to email me links to websites with coupons, but didn't. The whole thing was painless and quick, but pretty useless. She asked me at the end whether I learned a lot from the program. I told her no, I educated myself regarding bankruptcy BEFORE I decided to file. The info was very basic. What a waste of money! Find the cheapest one you can and get it over with.

By the way, I used Springboard who is approved in Ohio. I paid $45. There is a thread here somewhere where people said they paid less, as low as $15 I think. So, shop around.

Comment

Click here to get a list of approved courses for Ohio and start clicking the links and searching for the rates.

I randomly clicked on http://www.personalfinanceeducation.com/. That course is $30.

I'm assuming you are looking for the pre-bankruptcy course.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

great! thank you and yes, we are doing pre file

Click here to get a list of approved courses for Ohio and start clicking the links and searching for the rates.

I randomly clicked on http://www.personalfinanceeducation.com/. That course is $30.

I'm assuming you are looking for the pre-bankruptcy course.

Comment

If you're phone shy, I used GreenPath. They had a "chat room" type interface via PC.

Comment

is this one rerally free?? and all online? or is it going to ask me for money at the end. LOL
              also, are the totals published on the counseling certificate? I cant remember ALL of the credit card amounts and gave all the info to the attorney already. So some of it will be a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by seekininfo View Post
                is this one rerally free?? and all online? or is it going to ask me for money at the end. LOL
                also, are the totals published on the counseling certificate? I cant remember ALL of the credit card amounts and gave all the info to the attorney already. So some of it will be a guess.

http://www.consumerbankruptcycounsel...bcp/start.html
                My first thought was that they must give you the counseling for free but charge for the certificate, but they refer to a "free certificate" too. It looks like the in-person portion is by email. Good find!

The certificate only states that you have completed the counseling. It won't contain any of the info you enter.

Comment

maybe God was looking out for my poor shy self!
                  does it look legit and good for Ohio to you?

My first thought was that they must give you the counseling for free but charge for the certificate, but they refer to a "free certificate" too. It looks like the in-person portion is by email. Good find!

The certificate only states that you have completed the counseling. It won't contain any of the info you enter.

Comment

It's legit. It's on the US Trustee's list of approved agencies. The list of sponsors of the non-profit includes a retired bankruptcy judge, partners from reputable California law firms and other reputable people. If it was not legit, these people wouldn't let it exist for long.

I like this on their "about" page:
                    The point of ConsumerBankruptcyCounseling.info is simple: charity begins at home. The corporate bankruptcy bar wishes to ameliorate the negative effects of the 2005 Act on consumer access to bankruptcy and help those in most need who must otherwise utilize bankruptcy to truly obtain a meaningful "fresh start" through the use of carefully administered but nonetheless quite old-fashioned charity.
                    Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 05-12-2010, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I LOVED that also!

just finished- thanks so much ladyinthered for the links. Saved me $75 we dont have!

Data Entry Complete
                      You will be contacted by our counselors via e-mail within 48 hours. Please check your e-mail!

If your do not receive an e-mail from our counselors, you can return to this site in 48 hours and login to see your counseling results

Comment

Excellent!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X