Should I plan for this vacation or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I plan for this vacation or not?

Hoping to file within the next 5-6 months so presently trying to spend down excess cash obviously. It can be spent with necessary expenses - household, medical, etc. with no problem. I just don't want anything that might draw the attention of the trustee. My husband has a business convention that he attends every year. His ticket is paid for by his company. MY TICKET we pay for ourselves ($150). This covers all meals and entertainment during the week. In addition, a friend of ours is giving us free use of his mountain cabin while we're there so that there will be no hotel bills. So, essentially, it's my ticket and gas money. And actually, gas money would be reimbursed by his company as well, though possibly not until after we file. I don't have to go - but it's always been a cheap get-away for me and my husband, and I hate to miss it. Will the trustee ask what this money was spent for and would it be determined to be spent fraudulently? We so need this time mentally this year more than ever!!
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

If you are not filing for six months, I'd say enjoy and decompress!

Comment

Originally posted by CanBreathe View Post
      If you are not filing for six months, I'd say enjoy and decompress!

Well, the trip would actually be RIGHT before we file. Just trying to decide whether or not to plan for it. If we're not going to take the cabin, our friend is going to offer it to one of the other attendees.
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Sounds like it will require minimal funds on your part. Bankruptcy is not about living in poverty conditions. I'd say its more about living reasonably within one's range of affordability. Taking care of the needs, and carefully choosing the wants since its not possible to afford all the wants!

Its not likely (IMO) that you'll be questioned on it, and if you are you can present the same info: your husband's expenses were paid, your room was gifted by a friend, and your out of pocket for food, etc. was minimal.

Personally - I am sending my kids to summer camp this year. But its an affordable camp (compared to many others I have checked out) and we applied for a 50% 'scholarship'. Have already paid $225 down, will need to pay $337.50 more. For a Sun-Sat weeklong sleep-away camp for 3 kids. I doubt it will be an issue (we'll be filing ~6 months later) but it really is necessary on a couple of levels. For my kids to have something special in their summer, and for my husband to get a break mid-summer to catch up on his sleep. He works nights, normally sleeps when the kids are in school. But for the summer he'll get a few hours of sleep before they get up, and a few hours of sleep when they go to bed before he has to go into work. (I work during the day & 5 evenings a week.)
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Aw, see now you're making me feel guilty! (just kidding) We cut out summer camp this month - couldn't afford it when the registration dates rolled around because I didn't know at the time we would be choosing to stop payments on our house and surrendering it. But now that it's too late to register them, I'm almost a little happy. This will more than likely be our last summer at this house, and I intend on enjoying it to the fullest. My kids spend HOURS in our pool - I bet I've been in it MAYBE two hours total over the past three years because of working so much. I hate that I wasted those years, but who knew where we'd be headed. Don't intend on wasting anymore time though!

The kids could actually go with us to the convention. This is actually the last year that my oldest can go for free. It's right at the beginning of school though. Guess I should think about it though since I took camp away from them.

Comment

Don't feel bad. Sounds like your kids will have a good summer no matter whether home or away. Mine will pretty much spend 9 out of the 10 weeks at home, playing in the neighborhood. Perhaps getting over to my inlaws neighborhood a few times to swim. With me working 2 jobs, hubby working nights - that is the best we can do.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

We took a small trip back in March. My parents flew into town and then they rented a condo down at the coast. We drove down to the coast and spent a few days there. My parents paid for everything...we paid gas driving all of us down there (we're in TX, so it wasn't even out of state or anything). Our cost was obviously very minimal.

I say you should be fine!

Comment

I think we're going. My husband has to go - not an option - so the only added expense is my ticket. We're driving from Florida to South Carolina, so gas won't be cheap, but the company does reimburse us for it.

I did get online today with the resort that the convention is being held at. Huge beautiful spa resort -- going to be so tempting to spend $$ -- and then the "peer pressure" from all the other wives who will be soaking it up in the spa. Maybe I do need to take the kids with me to give me an excuse why I can't spend a day in the spa with them!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X