Not making house payment this month and trying for modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not making house payment this month and trying for modification

Well, we're definitely filing bankruptcy in our near future. That decision has been made. As of right now, we're current on everything, but the house payment is due tomorrow, and I've decided we're not making it this month - really can't with taxes that are due today. We've gone back and forth on whether to keep the house when we file or let it go too - and we still can't come to a final decision that we're comfortable with. So, we're going to at least TRY for a modification. If approved, it would bring the house payment down initially over $1000 a month. That we can handle, and then hopefully I will have obtained a job in the next year when the amount starts creeping back up that we can do this. If I get the job I'll be trying for, we can actually make the current payment amount when all our other debts are discharged in bankruptcy. I just can't walk away from it without at least trying. Even the attorney has said not to get my hopes up on the modification, but at least, like I said, I tried. Anyone out there with any positive stories with modifications. Our mortgage is through Chase. I do have a friend who successfully got a modification approved about 3 months ago. She said the trial period for them ended up lasting 5 months while they were working on it but it was approved with no issues. As far as I'm concerned, they can take as long as they want deciding -- if it's declined, we're immediately filing for bankruptcy and letting it foreclose. Any thoughts?
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

I am FAR from an expert, but one little bit of advice: Ask their retention department about any internal/Chase modifications? I have heard horror stories about the federal programs - and even the 'success' stories taking a year or more. If they have any internal options, the process may be shorter/simpler - and it should not take more than a phone call or two to find out if that could be an option.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I'm pretty sure there are. My husband had talked to someone before months ago who even sent us the paperwork but we never went forward with it. I was still pretty much in a state of denial at that point. But he did hint to my husband even at that point that missing a payment or two would help our case. Seems crazy - but missing a payment this month really isn't voluntary - it's pretty much a necessity. Sadly, our payments have even come down $200 this month because of escrow overpayment last year. Our payment is due tomorrow. I'm guessing my husband should call in a couple of weeks - ??
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

To read about people's experiences with loan modification, try the forums at http://www.loansafe.org/forum/
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I have started browsing there. Its a little overwhelming - SO MUCH information. My first impression: mods are actually getting done and that is nice to know. There is much work & aggravation involved, but there are some end results.

I officially started the process of trying for an in-house mod yesterday w/ a phone discussion of income & expenses. And faxed my paperwork in today. 35 pages: check stubs, tax returns, bank statements, etc. My online account w/ BofA says the collection process has temporarily stopped, and that I should not call until after 5/19.

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
          To read about people's experiences with loan modification, try the forums at http://www.loansafe.org/forum/
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X