Filing Again After Divorce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Again After Divorce?

Like many people, I'm stuck in a rather poor situation due to a divorce.

The now ex-husband and I filed for a Chapter 7 in 2006 while we lived in Tennessee. Was discharged in early 2006 with no problem, and we went on to rebuild decent credit.

Well, we moved back to Colorado and things went south and we divorced in June of 2009, leaving me with a timeshare and vehicle in my name. I had to quit my job that same month due to a severe illness in my family and had to move home to help deal with it. I haven't been able to pay for the timeshare, and the car was repossessed. Long story short, I have a big chunk of debt, horrible credit, and not enough money to pay for it all.

I don't know what my options are, and I'm curious if the possibility of another bk even exists? I'm just more or less lost with all this debt and not sure where to even start.

If you're not working and don't own a car or a house then you really don't have to do anything at this time, assuming you don't have money in a bank account that a creditor could take.

Since you filed Chapter 7 in '06, you have a few years before you can file Chapter 7 again.

Good luck!
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

I'm self employed as a freelance writer, which only brings in minimal amounts of money when there's work. And I have neither a car, nor a house to pay on, as I stay with family. Which isn't the most fun thing in the world but I want all this financial headache cleared up before I delve into anything else.

Comment

You can't file another chapter 7 until 8 years after the last filing - but would be able to file a ch. 13 now. To do a ch. 13 though, you must have somewhat stable income to enter into a 3-5 year repayment.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X