No announcement yet.

Profile of a BK Filer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez - I wonder where I fit in. I am in my 2nd bankruptcy. The first was a Chapter 7 in 1994, caused by divorce, alimony, and child support. I am currently two years into a Chapter 13 plan - not because I had to, but just because I could. Paying my creditors $1500 per month just for the privilege of staying in debt seemed stupid. There was no point in postponing the inevitable.
    I do not need credit any more, and my creditors are getting far, far more back from me than I ever took from them. It was the right thing to do, without question.

I guess I am in the 26% of men filing alone.

Comment

Flamingo, I agree that there could be any number of factors that create the debt; I am referring to the general perception of someone filing BK. That perception is way off from the reality.

Meateater, underemployed is pretty much unemployed for sake of argument. You are probably paying off that master's degree and seeing no results in the job market.
      First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

Looks like I am pretty close to a typical filer. I am 33, have a decent job, single female filing because of a divorce. I know women usually do well with divorces but my ex-husband is not paying his share of the joint debt, been paying for my divorce for almost 2 years now. I got screwed over in the divorce, the house and iras are worthless. I hope to file by May but seeing how work and the economy work out.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X