No announcement yet.

The general public and BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit I held off on making the decision because I was afraid of the stigma attached. But I look around and so many people are in this position, not just me. I already have the stigma of being a divorced single mother, whats it really going to do to add BK to the list? Nothing really. If anything I am in a better financial situation than I have been since my divorce. Finally paying cash for everything and gasp, will be able to save once the BK is behind me. I even look forward to fully funding a ROTH next year and even starting to put away for my DD6 college fund. I wish I had realized sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Depressed View Post
      Unfortunately, I do know someone that committed suicide over their financial situation. Left a wife and two young kids. It just doesn't make sense.

In our Town ( Orlando ) a couple of years ago there was a man who shot his wife and 2 young children, and then himself, because of distress over the prospect of filing bankruptcy as he was $100k in debt. knowing what I now Know from this forum makes me realize that it was So tragic and un necessary.

As stressed as I am, I have to keep reminding myself that its only money and that things will get better.
      Marie

Comment

Originally posted by marie View Post
        In our Town ( Orlando ) a couple of years ago there was a man who shot his wife and 2 young children, and then himself, because of distress over the prospect of filing bankruptcy as he was $100k in debt. knowing what I now Know from this forum makes me realize that it was So tragic and un necessary.

As stressed as I am, I have to keep reminding myself that its only money and that things will get better.
        I doubt this is the reason he murdered his family. It creates an explanation that the masses can get their minds around but in reality the decision to murder his wife and kids could not possibly have had anything to do with being in debt.

So often, cases like this are simply reported with what seems the best cause without anyone really challenging the premise put forth. There is no way to go from "I'm in debt badly" to "I am going to kill my family because I'm in debt." Whatever the tragic reason he committed murder is it had nothing to do with the "evil" banks. He was a sick evil man.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I am sure there is a stigma, but I also wonder if many people resort to more drastic measures (ie suicide, robbery, etc), simply because they are ignorant about bankruptcy? I have to admit, I knew nothing about it.

Like the OP said:
          Knowledge is power.
          Last edited by PoorGrammyinBK7; 02-24-2010, 02:34 PM.
          Filed Ch 7 -- July 9, 2008
          341 mtg ---- August 14, 2008
          Discharged ---- October 17, 2008
          Closed --------- December 11, 2009!

Comment

On the subject of suicide I agree with Ohiofiler. In most of these cases there was some underlying mental distress and being bankrupt was either the trigger or the excuse. (The straw that broke the camel's back.) Situational suicide--suicide where there are no causal factors outside the immediate situation--is extremely rare.
            So the poor debtor, seeing naught around him
            Yet feels the narrow limits that impound him
            Grieves at his debt and studies to evade it
            And finds at last he might as well have paid it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X