HOA Judgment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOA Judgment

The HOA has a judgment against me for legal fees (long story). I am paying on them per the agreement. However, I believe their attorney's intention was to put a lien on my home for the amount of the legal fees but my home just got sold in a foreclosure (another long story).

What action do you think the HOA will take now that they cannot put a lien on my home but given the fact I am paying the fees per the agreement?

By the way, I have been paying the monthly amount of legal fees I owe (per the agreement) with a check from my bank account. (My attorney recommended not using money orders as they are too difficult to prove payment of if you should have to). However, this means the HOA attorneys now have my bank account information. Wouldn't this make it easier for them to freeze my account?

What if I open a separate bank account at the same bank just for their payments? Would this safeguard my "other" account at the same bank?

Comment

Are you involved in bankruptcy or planning a bankruptcy?

Opening another account at the same bank will do nothing to prevent garnishment.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I am considering a BK but have to talk to another attorney. I talked to two already but not about this issue.

Comment

I should also have mentioned I am still living in the home and in a legal battle with the bank that sold it.

Comment

My real question in all this is, if I continue to pay the payments per the agreement with the HOA, does that mean they most likely will not try to freeze my bank account or garnish my income?

Comment

If your agreement stipulates that they will not continue other means to collect (garnishment, etc) while you are making payments then I wouldn't worry. However, I'm a stickler for seeing things in writing. I would look at the agreement and see if there is something to this effect written on it.
              Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
              I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I just looked at the agreement. All I see are words that indicate that if I STOP paying, they will take further action.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X