top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS 401k hardship withdrawl included in income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IS 401k hardship withdrawl included in income?

My folks pulled $12k out a few months ago to keep up with payments, would that be included in the 6 mo lookback?

Yes, if the date falls within the 6 months prior to filing. Hopefully they can wait to file until the extra $12k drops off the look back period.
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Yes that 12k will be considered income on the means test. Any cash that is left over and still in their bank account will have to be exempt as well.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Yes. The calculation of "current monthly income" (CMI) is based on income received from all sources in the last 6 months. The reason why it's income (even though it's your money), is that it was deferred income... to be paid later.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Hrmm well there seems to be conflicting answers to this question, according to this post http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.php?t=38992 they do not. Also after speaking with my attorney he seems to think they do not either, of course your mileage may vary. The topic is of interest to me and even though my attorney said it would not it is still of concern as I am in the same boat as the OP's parents.
          Last edited by Heli; 12-03-2009, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Heli View Post
            Hrmm well there seems to be conflicting answers to this question,
            I should have added my standard disclaimer. This varies by District, but the majority includes it as income. Hopefully there will be something other than a Bankruptcy Appellate Panel (BAP) ruling, because those "may" not be binding on the Circuit. It needs to go to a Circuit court of Appeals to have "real" and lasting affects.

The Supreme Court, of course, would make it binding precedence everywhere.
            Last edited by justbroke; 12-03-2009, 07:40 AM.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I have a feeling I'm going to need to have a good sit down with my attorney over this when I get all my paperwork together. During the initial consult I was uneducated to allot of things until I stumbled accoss this site. Doing alot of reading and not jumping into filing until I'm ready is my motto at this point

Comment

Comment

My attorney advised me that my one time withdrawal of 3,000 in July was not income and need not be included.

Just offering my experience...please take no offense anyone.
                  Stopped paying CC: September 2009 ; Retained attorney: 9/9/2009; Filed Chap 7: January 18, 2010; 341 Meeting: March 9, 2010; Discharged and Closed: April 29, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by ace13 View Post
                    My attorney advised me that my one time withdrawal of 3,000 in July was not income and need not be included.
                    This is what we want. We want it to be consistent in that it shouldn't be included as income. Anyone with this issue needs to check with their attorney or local practices on the issue.

Comment

Any official update on this? I just took a withdrawal and was planning on chapter 7 in december. Now I may have to push that off 3 months if it's included.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X