X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bankruptcy and Divorce

Hi-

A couple questions. This is the history I remember as I am typing:

I did not understand Washington State law regarding divorce (I wasn't planning a divorce).

I married my ex-wife in 2004. I got a telephone offer (I believe), soon after, for a Chase credit card. I spent money foolishly and on myself-things that I wanted (well, we both made some bad decisions). I think me verbally accepting the offer may have been a bad idea. Anyway, I wasn't thinking further than the available credit and the low (introductory) interest rate. They asked if I wanted any additional cards, and I asked for one for my (ex)wife. I don't think they got her Social Security Number through this applying for the card. (I, of course, did not want to burden her).

She paid the CC bill with her personal checks, until we were separated in July of 2007.

I know that it does not matter that we were divorced in Jan of 2008, even though the divorce decree put that the debt on the card was alloted to me, at that point I thought that any debt I accumulated on that card after the divorce would be my debt (legally). The credit card did not have a balance on our divorce date.

Anyway, I could not afford that CC bill this month (November) and I lapsed. At 20 days, I got a phone call from my ex-wife. They had taken the missed payment out of her checking account. No permission was given, or even a pre-notice, that they would debit her checking account. She closed her account on the spot, and put in some type of (request) demanding getting that money back.

The short questions:

1. Can we keep the CC company off her back?

1. Can I discharge this CC debt as part of my Chapter 7 bankruptcy without having problems for her? (we have a son together).

2. Will bankruptcy protect my ex-wife from harrassing calls, etc. until the bankruptcy is over?

This is crudy day for me- my ex-wife is quite angry about this (as I would be).

Anyway, thanks a bunch.

I am looking for advice from forum members, and I am also considering getting a different lawyer - one that is more familiar with issues such as this. I just want advice on how to proceed.

Thanks again...

Fred

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X