top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I be denied health care because I filed Chapter 13?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Can I be denied health care because I filed Chapter 13?

I had to include hospital and medical bills at 3 diff. hosp/clinics in my area. Does this mean I may no longer receive medical care at these clinics? Thank you

They are required to evalulate you and provide life saving or other emergency treatment and ensure that you are stable.

They can deny you any other services however. Chances are, however, they will continue to see you. If you BK on your personal doctor they may decide to stop being your doctor.

Comment

The best thing to do in this situation is contact the main offices of the hospital and/or doctor (if they were included in your filing) to find out if there will be an issue if you need to utilize them for services. Their policies may differ but you will know in advance. As stated, you cannot be denied emergency care at an emergency room for emegency care as they are required to take those with no insurance and/or those who cannot pay. Most hospitals are funded through the state to pay for that care or through other hospital sources for funds.

I know for a fact my dentist will not see anyone unless any overdue, outstanding bills are paid (office policy) and I believe most doctor/dentist/medical offices carry a similar policy. Whether a BK would put you on their "black list" is something you would have to check directly with them.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bump...

Comment

Originally posted by sizesnug View Post
          I had to include hospital and medical bills at 3 diff. hosp/clinics in my area. Does this mean I may no longer receive medical care at these clinics? Thank you
          Your answer is "possibly" as no one can say for sure as hospitals, clinics, etc. vary in policy...see postings above. That is something you will have to check on yourself before any visit.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Yes it is possible to be denied health care. It happens to people every day. I would not blame that specifically on a bk unless you filed BK on a specific doctor or particular hospital that rejects patients after doing that, then they can deny you as a patient, except for life & death emergency.

then of course this also runs into the problem of getting insured due to pre existing.

Comment

thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                Yes it is possible to be denied health care. It happens to people every day. I would not blame that specifically on a bk unless you filed BK on a specific doctor or particular hospital that rejects patients after doing that, then they can deny you as a patient, except for life & death emergency.

then of course this also runs into the problem of getting insured due to pre existing.
                It's not whether it's a life or death emergency that requires an emeregency room to treat a patient.

The EMTALA applies to all hospitals who accept payment under Medicare which is essentailly every hospital in America.

Spreading disinformation about whether someone can receive emergency treatment other than life or death situations is dangerous. If someone with a broken leg read your post and feared going to the hospital they could end up disabled for life.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                  It's not whether it's a life or death emergency that requires an emeregency room to treat a patient.

The EMTALA applies to all hospitals who accept payment under Medicare which is essentailly every hospital in America.

Spreading disinformation about whether someone can receive emergency treatment other than life or death situations is dangerous. If someone with a broken leg read your post and feared going to the hospital they could end up disabled for life.
                  well guess what, know it all, i went to the hospital with a broken jaw and they refused to treat me.

Comment

well guess what, know it all foolishness, i went to the hospital ER with a broken jaw and they refused to treat me. I also went to ER another time for something else that included a severe fever and they refused to treat me. I went to the clinic the next day to find out my liver was failing me.

the fact still remains you can be refused health care and for more than one reason and that is what the OP is about, it is not about another one of your famous tangents in attempt to prove someone wrong so you can debate with them.
                    Last edited by Bandit; 07-22-2009, 07:24 AM.

Comment

A patient is defined as "stable," therefore ending a hospital's EMTALA obligations, if:

The patient is conscious, alert, and oriented

The cause of all symptoms reported by the patient or representative, and all potentially life-threatening, limb-threatening, or organ-threatening symptoms discovered by hospital staff, has been ascertained to the best of the hospital's ability.

Any conditions that are immediately life-threatening, limb-threatening, or organ-threatening have been treated to the best of the hospital's ability to ensure the patient does not need further inpatient care.

The patient is able to care for themselves, with or without special equipment, which if needed, must be provided. The required abilities are:
                      Breathing
                      Feeding
                      Mobility
                      Dressing
                      Personal hygiene
                      Toileting
                      Medicating
                      Communication

---

There... better?

Comment

well guess what, know it all, i went to the hospital with a broken jaw and they refused to treat me.
                        They may have refused to treat you for a reason other than your broken jaw. Did you ask them?
                        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

well guess what, know it all foolishness, i went to the hospital ER with a broken jaw and they refused to treat me. I also went to ER another time for something else that included a severe fever and they refused to treat me. I went to the clinic the next day to find out my liver was failing me.

the fact still remains you can be refused health care and for more than one reason and that is what the OP is about, it is not about another one of your famous tangents in attempt to prove someone wrong so you can debate with them.
                          Name calling is not allowed on these forums You should report yourself.

You like to change your arguments. here is your quote I disputed. I did not dispute any othe part of your post:

then they can deny you as a patient, except for life & death emergency.
                          You see. I challenged your explicit and exclusionary use of "EXCEPT LIFE OR DEATH". I never indicated there was less than 2 reasons to be declined service.

No famous tanget there Bandito. Your post was obvious bad information and I wanted to set the record straight.

Comment

Originally posted by falken View Post
                            A patient is defined as "stable," therefore ending a hospital's EMTALA obligations, if:

The patient is conscious, alert, and oriented

The cause of all symptoms reported by the patient or representative, and all potentially life-threatening, limb-threatening, or organ-threatening symptoms discovered by hospital staff, has been ascertained to the best of the hospital's ability.

Any conditions that are immediately life-threatening, limb-threatening, or organ-threatening have been treated to the best of the hospital's ability to ensure the patient does not need further inpatient care.

The patient is able to care for themselves, with or without special equipment, which if needed, must be provided. The required abilities are:
                            Breathing
                            Feeding
                            Mobility
                            Dressing
                            Personal hygiene
                            Toileting
                            Medicating
                            Communication

---

There... better?

Fantastic information. So if I read this correctly the hospital must evaluate the patient but once evaluated may be dismissed? So if there is a valid reason to be at the ER the hospital can't refuse treatment. It is only after the patient meets a certain set of criteria he can be dismissed.

Thanks! much better!

Comment

Name calling is not allowed on these forums You should report yourself.

You like to change your arguments. here is your quote I disputed. I did not dispute any othe part of your post:

You see. I challenged your explicit and exclusionary use of "EXCEPT LIFE OR DEATH". I never indicated there was less than 2 reasons to be declined service.

No famous tanget there Bandito. Your post was obvious bad information and I wanted to set the record straight.

dispute dipsute dispute challenge challenge challenge....there are many reasons the denied health care and yes you are being foolish following me around like a little puppy dog harassing me for every post I make.

You have had two threads closed this week for getting off topic and now you are going for your third.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X