No announcement yet.

FIOS - credit check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any of you have VOIP issues with Fios. I have two PhonePower lines (2 routers).

Comment

Originally posted by goingcrzy View Post
      any of you have VOIP issues with Fios. I have two PhonePower lines (2 routers).
      Yes, but not with network speed or stability!

You have to plan for FiOS. If you're having quality issues (sound quality) you may be having issues with prioritization, which drove me crazy for 2 weeks as I tuned my equipment properly.

The other problem is power loss. During a power outage, the ONTs will provide power only to the telephone lines, and not to the network (Ethernet). I learned this the hard way. Yes, the battery for each of the ONTs will power the ONT for 8 hours or more, but it only powers the VERIZON provided phone lines (POTs). So the quick fix is to put a good sized UPS in front of the ONT's power supplies. I have a 1500VA UPS that my two ONTs plug into (in the garage).

I use Vonage, but I also have my own VOIP system (with Grandstream GX-2000 phones). Every single network router/switch in my home is on a UPS. I have a 3000VA UPS where my equipment room is. I have two 1500VA UPS units in my office, where I am now. I have the 1 1500VA UPS backing up the ONT power for FiOS. I have 1 1500VA UPS in my living room. I wanted to get a whole house unit, but even with that, it's standby, so you still need the individual UPS units on critical equipment.

I'd be happy to discuss any details you like about my setup.
      Last edited by justbroke; 07-10-2009, 10:39 AM.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks - Good to know about the UPS - I would have tossed my and assumed the Fios battery back took care of the network.

Comment

I switched from comcast to fios right after my discharge with no problems.

Saved about 20/month
          pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
          filed ch7 6-12
          341 7-25
          Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X