The Horror of the 341

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Horror of the 341

Our laptop died just before our 341 meeting, so that spared you all a barrage of 341-related questions from me, haha.

We dressed modestly -- black cotton dress and low pumps for me, dockers, belt, and polo top for DH. He didn't match (olive dockers with a maroon and grey striped polo) but I didn't have the heart to tell him that. I figured the trustee might take pity on a man who doesn't know that olive and grey are not the same color.

We brought our 4.5 month old daughter with us because I am nursing and she drinks from the tap. We were a little concerned that this would be a problem but we had been reassured by our legal asst and well, what else were we going to do?

We planned to arrive plenty early but ended up being just on time.

Security was fairly stringent at the court house, which was unexpected.

As my heels clacked against the floor of the seemingly endless hallway leading to bankruptcy court a rolling wave of anxiety hit me. We were ready to be judged for being financially incompetent.

The "court" was actually two small attached rooms. The waiting room was cozy and almost standing room only. We managed to weave our way to a couple empty seats and got settled.

I looked around at all the people and tried to imagine their circumstances. Were they like us? Maybe someone had suffered a catastrophic medical disaster. Maybe someone lost their job. Is that a designer bag? Oooh I wouldn't have brought that.

The lawyers had a long table in the center of the room and seemed very relaxed and familiar with each other. They laughed and joked. Britney Spears was brought up more than once.

DH and surveyed the lawyers, trying to determine which imposing suited figure belonged to us. The lawyer representing us was part of the practice and not someone we had met yet.

We were both too nervous to approach the table and ask.

The room was mostly silent except for the cackling of the lawyers. A few couples seemed to know each other and whispered back and forth uncomfortably.

The attire was mostly very everyday. Capri pants. Boots and jeans. Flip-flops. Big, colorful purses.

DH and I sat there, diverting our attention to our daughter to detract from our fear and nervousness. We talked and joked back and forth under our breath. Frequently I had to stop and breath deeply to combat the powerful surges of anxiety.

As we sat, we watched people leave and enter the room. From the corner of his eye, DH noticed someone from his work lurking around the entrance of the room. He ducked his head and whispered to me, "I know that guy. He works at the hospital."

As my DH spoke the words, this "guy from work" entered the room, looked around and nodded at us. He crossed the room and sat in the now empty seat beside us.

Oh crap.

As it turns out, and as we should have realized, he was also there to file for bankruptcy. How funny that on our day, at our time, was a co-worker of DH's, also filing for bankruptcy.

I think it's akin to being in a bar when a fellow church member walks in. Heh.

We had a nice long chat with him. Emphasis on long. Court was backed up and our wait time was a couple of hours. The pins and needles feeling was amplified by every passing minute.

As the room became almost empty and the lawyers were talking about dinner plans, our name was called.

We discovered which lawyer was ours, finally.

The trustee was inside a tiny room, sitting at a long table. He was dressed in Southwest splendor in a Western-inspired suit, a bolo tie, and plenty of big gold rings.

His expression was not menacing, nor was it forgiving.

He turned on a tape recorder and swore us in. We showed him our IDs and social security cards. He then asked questions pulled exactly from the list our lawyer had given us. Yes or no questions. Nothing more, nothing less. Just the list.

Then we were finished. It took less than 10 minutes.

When it was over we were ecstatic. Such a light, breezy, free feeling. It was over. And it wasn't painful or ruinous or embarrassing. The 341 was behind us.

I took off my shoes the minute I got back in the car. Ahhhhhh. Done!

Now for the 60 day wait.
    Ch 7 Filed: 4/27/09
    341 Meeting: 6/11/09

I absolutely love your story! Too funny and made me laugh on a Friday afternoon. I'm glad it went well for you. I know everyone says the 341 is nothing to be overly anxious about and I agree. But now that we are getting closer to our filing, I am getting anxious. I mentioned my concerns to my attorney just yesterday and she suggested I come down to see the hearings for myself on my lunch hour one day next month. It turns out my building is almost next to the bk courthouse. So I told her that I would take her up on her offer on a day I knew she would be there and we have a "date" for next month.

I hope my 341 goes as smoothly as yours - thanks again for the details of your meeting!!
    Filed: 8-19-09
    341: 9-21-09
    Notice of Discharge: 11-28-09

Comment

I am just now seeing all the grammar errors. Should have looked over it before I posted.

If your bk court and 341 is anything like ours, definitely don't allow yourself to worry or get worked up. I tortured myself with worry for nothing!

Comment

I enjoyed your account and was so captivated I didn't notice any grammatical errors at all.

Our attorney says the same thing. It will be over in 10-15 minutes. It's just a matter of waiting our turn. It's not like we have anything to hide but still - it's almost like going to the principle's office.

Comment

Thanks.

I think the principal's office analogy is VERY apt!

Comment

Now look who's talking about grammatical errors. I spelled principal the wrong way! Ha!!!

Comment

Love your 341 story...so detailed...

I'm not too nervous as my 341 will be this Monday, but I am worried that we will "see" someone we know. We live in a small town...Gosh, I know *if* I saw someone we knew, that I should think that we are "all in the same situation" and I shouldn't be embarrassed...but still...

Welcome to the 60 day club and here's to an UNeventful next 60 days
              May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
              May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
              May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
              9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Nice story! Thanks for sharing
                7-2-2009 Filed
                8-28-09 341 Concluded, no assets
                10-28-09 DISCHARGED/CLOSED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zpbk13 View Post
                  I enjoyed your account and was so captivated I didn't notice any grammatical errors at all.

Our attorney says the same thing. It will be over in 10-15 minutes. It's just a matter of waiting our turn. It's not like we have anything to hide but still - it's almost like going to the principle's office.

I think going to the principal's office would be easier at least when they told the judge(my Mom) I knew she still loved me.

I'm getting my stomach tied in knots just having to go to the attorneys office this coming Wednesday to file.

Not to mention I was sued today,and I didn't attend.

I wonder how that went?

I think I need some more pepto bismol.
                  Filed July 7,2009
                  341 August 24,2009 (completed)
                  Discharged 10-28-09(Thank You Lord.)
                  Case closed 10-29-2009

Comment

Glad it was done.
                    A good summary for many folks who are so nervous about their 341s
                    Enjoy your weekend.
                    Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
                    Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
                    341 Meeting 01/05/2009
                    Discharged 03/06/2009

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
                      Love your 341 story...so detailed...

I'm not too nervous as my 341 will be this Monday, but I am worried that we will "see" someone we know. We live in a small town...Gosh, I know *if* I saw someone we knew, that I should think that we are "all in the same situation" and I shouldn't be embarrassed...but still...

Welcome to the 60 day club and here's to an UNeventful next 60 days
                      Be ready to take your shoes off and COMPLETELY empty your purse out in a "bin" when you go to Riverside on Monday. Like being at the airport. Good thing I left all my "secret stuff" at home or those guards would of had a great laugh....LOL

You will be fine Liz!
                      Chapter 7 filed 10/21/2008
                      341 - 11/26 went smooth NO ASSET
                      Took 115 days after 341 - But Finally DISCHARGED 3/25/09

Comment

That was a well written story. I enjoyed reading it!
                        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That was exceptionally well written. Kept me interested and on edge with every sentence. Very suspensefull.

Great story.
                          Nuf said.

Thank You.
                          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Thanks for sharing and what an excellently written story. Have you thought about freelance writing?

Comment

Our 341 is Thursday, When they ask questions do we both take turns answering the same question or how does it work. My stomach is in knots but I just want this nightmare to be over.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X