When To Take Pre-Discharge Course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When To Take Pre-Discharge Course?

Confused.....is this course taken before or after we go to court? Already did the credit counseling course.

The debt counseling should be completed before you can be discharged but after you file -- if I'm not mistaken. I hope I was helpful. GL

Comment

You have two courses as it were. One is actually kind of an interview, with recommendations of your course of action. The other is an instructional course, usually on the Internet. Costs about 35 bucks. It is very worthwhile and interesting so you have nothing to fear. My advice is to get it as soon as possible. It is required. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
        You have two courses as it were. One is actually kind of an interview, with recommendations of your course of action. The other is an instructional course, usually on the Internet. Costs about 35 bucks. It is very worthwhile and interesting so you have nothing to fear. My advice is to get it as soon as possible. It is required. 'Hub

We completed the first course over the phone, the one that is required before you file. Our Bk was officially filed Feb 5th and March 9th we go to court. Do we complete the second course (online) BEFORE we go to court or AFTER? We have a paralegal doing our bk and she said we do the second course after we go to court but I need to make sure this is the correct info.

Comment

Originally posted by Bk1404 View Post
          We completed the first course over the phone, the one that is required before you file. Our Bk was officially filed Feb 5th and March 9th we go to court. Do we complete the second course (online) BEFORE we go to court or AFTER? We have a paralegal doing our bk and she said we do the second course after we go to court but I need to make sure this is the correct info.
          The current bk law states that the post-filing required debtor education course must be taken and filed with the court any time after filing and before discharge. However, after filing Ch 7, some local courts request that the post-fiing course be taken within 45 days after the filing date.

If you are filing Ch 13, then the required post-filing course can be taken anytime between filing and discharge. However, most courts will start notifying you that you haven't taken the post-discharge course after your one-year filing anniversary.

If I were you, I would just get the post-filing course over with now. No sense waiting to do it until the last minute.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks! We are in calif and filed chapter 7. I had planned on doing the second course today but just needed to make sure I had all of the correct info first before I did. I guess I'll get started on it now. Thanks again!

Comment

So long as your case has been filed, go do the course.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X