top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on Student, CC, and Medical Debt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advise on Student, CC, and Medical Debt...

I'm 30k in debt... 15k Private Student Loans, 5k Federal Student Loans, 6k Credit Card, 2k Medical Debt. I've been a student for the past 2 years, and I'm not going to be completing my degree at this point. My student loans will come due the 1st of the year. Due to health and financial troubles I'm having to leave school in san diego and move back to oregon. My only source of income right now is a social security check for $1100 due to my being disabled. Is bankruptcy a realistic option for my situation? what chapter should I be researching?

Those student loans will survive bk.
    Don't file bk over $8K. Your best option is to increase your income.

Comment

I agree, you shouldn't file BK on a $8k debt...
      May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
      May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
      May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
      9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
        Those student loans will survive bk.
        Don't file bk over $8K. Your best option is to increase your income.
        The poster indicated that he/she is disabled and only receiving Social Security, probably SSI - which probably will be reduced when he/she moves from San Diego to Oregon.

Comment

Is there any way you can get schlolarships/grants from low-income or disability to finish your degree?

I would wait for the medical and credit card debt to go to collections and offer a settlement.

Consider stop paying minimums and start squireling away money for a settlement.

I wouldn't worry too much about your federal loan but keep an eye out for that private loan. They mushroom wildly.

Are you completely disabled? Try to see if you can get a discharge from student loans. I don't think they can garnish your disability check so I wouldn't bankrupt over that.

Comment

When you get moved to Oregon find the closest Legal Services Aid Clinic and set up an appt. with a Counselor. He/She maybe able to help you get rid of these loans because you are disabled.

You may also be able to call on these Student Loans and ask them to mail you the paperwork to discharge these Loans because you are receiving Disability.

Good Luck

Luci

Comment

In rare cases you can discharge student loans for reasons of hardship. I'd pursue that avenue first.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X