Filing for bankrupcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing for bankrupcy

Hello all, i just talked to my lawyer today and she thinks it is best I claim bankrupcy and I better do it fast with the new laws coming in October. I have gotten myself into so much debt and I cannot even see why I did it, it seems like I had a huge spending problem, when i viewed my credit report today for the first time I just wanted to cry and I did cry, I just dont know how I let it get that bad. I have made myself violently sick tonight.

The question i have is, for filing do i need the addresses of all creditors & collection Agencies? I dont even know half of them, i was one of those people who got a bill just threw it in the garbage because i had no money to pay for it. How do i go about finding the addresses for these people? and my account numbers??

The problem is that the new laws are pretty much being put into effect now. Minus afew of the counseling requirements. Trustees are siezing alot more property than they did say two years ago. No one in BK can afford to fight it. Best do it now before the whole brunt of the new law is put into effect. defacto enforcement is VERY easy when dealing with BK'ers, we can't afford to fight it and it has support from the current administration.
    "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Are you filing anytime soon? You have about 7 weeks before the deadline and I'm sure you will be billed again for your debts. From this point on save your bills. Calm down in spite of what a few guests post here there is no shame. Just get some help on budgeting if you need it, but don't be ashamed. Read as many threads here as you can to learn from people going through the same thing.

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by robivi3
        The problem is that the new laws are pretty much being put into effect now. Minus afew of the counseling requirements. Trustees are siezing alot more property than they did say two years ago. No one in BK can afford to fight it. Best do it now before the whole brunt of the new law is put into effect. defacto enforcement is VERY easy when dealing with BK'ers, we can't afford to fight it and it has support from the current administration.

I agree with you. I still won't do a ch7 for reasons I mentioned on other threads, but the ch13 in it's current form seems like it's a gift compared to the new one. It's 3 years of pain instead of 5. I have disposable income so I won't even bother confronting the US Trustee. Some of you ch7 filers are bigger people then me. I would rather avoid the confrontation and sweat for 3 more years and be done with it!

Comment

You can order your credit reports on line for a small price. You can order all three credit reports from Experian, Equifax, and Transunion on one web site, this report will give you all the addresses and should list most of your debts. Please keep in mind that creditors are not required to subscribed to these agencies, however most creditors suchas credit cards, mortgages, car loans, collection agencies do, what you need to not to forget is any hospital or doctors. As far as the 7 if your assets are exempt then you should have no problem about the trustees seizing any property, verfiy with your attorney that your assets are fully exempt.

Comment

Dana - dont you have credit cards? Call them and get their address. You dont have a lot of time to waste. We all understand your emotional turmoil...we have been there...done that but there is a bright spot - filing BK is not fatal. You will survive by learning from your mistakes and getting a second chance to move on. It is an emotional and embarrassing time but you will get a lot of support from forums like this -take advantage of the knowledge and experience from people who post; it is worth it -it was my survival kit. Let us know if we can help.

and hhou812hh - frankly I dont feel like a bigger person than you because I filed a Chapter 7. Our situation was one that left us with very few options and Chapter 13 was not one of them. It was kind of Chapter 7 or bust! I dont like confrontations either but it came with the territory so you do what you have to do. We expect our discharge papers any day.

Comment

Let me just intercept in ways to get your credit report for free.

(1) By law, you can obtain your credit report every 12 months from each of the agencies for free - go to annualcreditreports.com

(2) If you've been turned down recently for anything that required a credit check (credit card, loan, apartment) you can ask to obtain a copy of the credit report.

Comment

edwards2:
                I know you don't. What I meant was since I am single and have a decent income and did so much w/ cc's 3 months ago(Urgent matters) I can't imagine confronting the US Trustee especially since so many of you told us stories of meeting them and explaining your life story to them. It does seem (from what I am reading here) that they are getting tough even now checking EVERYTHING and while I am very stong in most areas of my life this whole thing with me has been stressful and I want to pay back what I can to get them off my back! One atty I spoke with said they have been a lot tougher in the last few years, especially towards people like me filing a ch7 with no dependents. If I got a letter for a hearing(besides the 341) I would die!

Good luck and hope your discharge comes real soon!!

Comment

Thank you guys, you have been so very helpful. I have found all my credit card statements, I knew I had to have them somewhere, I just made myself a nutcase. Hopefully I can till file. These new laws couldnt come at a worse time.

I have been out of work for some time and there is no way I can pay my debts, life never foresee's the future, I never thougth I would be in this mess.
                  So if I even file now you dont think it will go through? I am being sued right now by my one creditor.
                  I do have dependents so maybe that will look in my favor?
                  Last edited by Dana71; 08-24-2005, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Note -

To many of us Chapter 13 was not an "option" available too us!!

It's was Chapter 7 or nothing....

BK is "really hard" on the nerves, emotions, very stressfull and brings us to a sense of "reality" in our lives!!! Whether we are filing because of medical bills, cc bills and etc....

Yes, I too would have "loved" to filed a Chapter 13 (I was raised to PAY MY BILLS), but being single there was no disposable income to do it with..... so I was forced into a 7 in order to survive....

Am I embarrassed, YES, but I'll get over it......
                    Do I feel a "failure" - YES, but I'll get over it.... (I fought BK for 3 years working 2 jobs and renting extra bedrooms in my home)...

Will I survive, YES, but I see "life" in a whole new "light".....

Food for thought,

Minny

"My suggestions or thoughts are from experience only"...
                    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Out of work may make it alot easier... you can't get something that doesn't exist. That may save you, FILE NOW if you are going to do it. Take your car to a Carmax or Autonation and get an appraisal. I FOUGHT FOR MY VEHICLES AND IT WORKED. Take the most unflattering pictures of your vehicle(s) imaginable. If your AC is not working at the time Carmax checks it, that detracts alot, a major repair.
                      Fight like a Celtic Warrior before the trustee can ravage. Unlikely he will in your case.
                      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I have just been told I have 10 days to get all my info together, there is absolute no way i can do this. I dont even have a few of my collectors addresses, it was just reported to a collection agency but have no idea who.
                        I feel like I am being swallowed in dispair.

Comment

It's not despair honey, it'll take a little work but you can do it in 10 days, I promise.

First, go to annualcreditreport.com (no "s" like I misput before) and download all three of your credit reports. Here it will list all your creditors (some creditors do not report to all three, so you'll have to make a list and cross check) and addresses and amounts. Your collection agency will be listed on there as well.

Next, get your bank statements together. Don't have them, you may have to pay a nominal fee, but collect 6 months - it will take up to three days to get, so make sure you do this ASAP.

Collect all your credit card statements that you have. Collect your tax returns. This will be a good jumping point to start your petition. In reality, you could attempt to gather everything in one night! You'll be okay, I swear. We'll help in any fashion we can.

Comment

Just my darn luck!! I went there and I cant view my reports for free til September 1st!
                            I cannot believe it!!! My lawyer gave me my request for credit reports to mail to them ( the ones listed on that site) Am I going to get a report back within time??? I dont think so!!!!
                            Im a nervous wreck right now.

Comment

You can always pay for them, there is that option. By law they have to give them to you. Try calling, asking them for a copy and have them ship it overnight. Yes, it will cost money, yes you don't have any but this is a small investment to rid yourself of a big liability!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X