Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denied Job with jewelry store

Hello all:

I'm new to the forum and about to file a chapter 13 in the coming month or so.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I was denied a job I really, truly wanted at a jewelry store due to my extremely poor credit (a 490 fico). I am in sales and excel in it. I love it. It was also a promotion from what I do now. Do jewelry stores require you to be bonded? Or do they just fear I'm going to steal? (which is a little stupid..and alot offensive)

Will a chapter 13 improve my credit enough to become bonded? Or will I just have to tough it out?

FWIW, they did send me the pre adverse action letter and gave me a whopping two days to respond to it.

I was told by the store manager, who as a huge crush on me, to continue to schmooze and see what happened. However, there may be more then meets the eye..since the manager flirted multiple times and actually touched me during a meeting between me, himself and his boss. Ick. I'm not even sure if the credit thing was just a front for office romance prevention on his boss's part.

I know banks have issues with credit, but jewelry stores? Has anyone else heard of this?

I can understand why jewelry stores would review credit...

1. Since most jewelry is bought on credit, you are going to handle personal information of customers

2. You have access to valuable merchandise.

But, it sounds like there is more going on with this particular jewelry store than your credit.

Comment

credit is very important nowadays. any position that requires handling thousands of dollars worth of merchandise or access to sensitive information will require a background check, which usually includes a credit check. that's why after i file I am out of the US of A for awhile at least. start life somewhere else..
      Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

1. Currently and two years prior to interviewing for this job, I sold merchandise that was high ticket and also bought on credit. I have been acknowledged district wide for being one of the top associates. My skills were never in question.

2. Then why not check my background to see if I'd ever stolen merchandise from any of the other retail establishments I've ever worked? Check my past employers? I have many and have never been dismissed for any reason.

And yes, I see this store manager a few times a week..and yes, there was more to it and am just learning that now. He talks to me a great deal, still.

The district manager I interviewed with told me even if my credit was extremely poor that there were ways around it. This was until I met with her and the store manager the next day...when he proceded to rub my arm and stare at my body when I wasn't looking. Great. Then she wouldn't even call me back.

Comment

This came up on this post before about credit checks and employment. From what I remember, some here said that it should not make a difference and then some folks like me who run background, credit and drug test for jobs know better. As much as it pains me to say, some have said that checking a persons credit history for employments can show a lot about what type of person they are. Personally speaking in the past pre bk I was never concerned about this, however post bk is a different story. I actually think this may be a little unfair. I still have to do this because its part of my job, but now I still think its unfair, but done none the less.

Comment

What does getting "bonded," mean ? and what does it involve ?

Im curious, Catchmeifyoucan
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by 6ftladycop View Post
              This came up on this post before about credit checks and employment. From what I remember, some here said that it should not make a difference and then some folks like me who run background, credit and drug test for jobs know better. As much as it pains me to say, some have said that checking a persons credit history for employments can show a lot about what type of person they are. Personally speaking in the past pre bk I was never concerned about this, however post bk is a different story. I actually think this may be a little unfair. I still have to do this because its part of my job, but now I still think its unfair, but done none the less.
              I think it is COMPLETELY unfair. There are MANY people like me whose bankruptcies are a SNAPSHOT of a SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME, like 6 months, and then a whole person is judged by that.

I have been nothing BUT honest and forthright. I completely agree that it is completely unfair to hire someone based on their credit score.

Credit scores do NOT show whether someone can make sound financial decisions. It may SEEM like it, but considering that the algorithm to determine a FICO score changes and "learns" based on current trends, that tells me it's not reproduceable, therefore, not scientific, and therefore, not a very good indicator of an individual and their actions.

This reminds me of college grades. I made average grades because I sucked at testing but excelled at the work. I've met 3.5 gpa's and above and they suck hard, don't know jack, and couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag

More than just the score needs to be looked at. It's a person's whole history.
              Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
              Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
              Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
              11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

chpii,

Exactly. My fico score has NOTHING to do with my ability to do a job. Plus, I'm not really making financial decisions. I'm not working in a bank. I'm selling jewelry. My jobs have always just required me to move merchandise. I'm not deciding where people should place their money (stocks, IRA, etc etc)..as long as they place in my hands in exchange for goods to give me bigger paychecks. ;-) I still deal with credit daily and my current employers don't have any problems with me.

The ONLY reason I would think to involve a credit check in the job I was applying for would be if they would think theft might have been an issue. And trust me, I WOULD NEVER HAVE STOLEN ANYTHING. Why not call my former employers and ask them? They did a thorough criminal and background check..and even checked the database that blackballed salespeople/thieves are placed in once caught. Theft and shrink is directly a criminal and character issue...NOT a credit issue. I can't say that enough!!!! (So check my criminal background and references!) The fact I struggled hardcore through college and couldn't make ends meet should not affect my ability to get a job now. Rent and food were more important then paying my credit cards. (I eventually got evicted anyway.)

Anyway, they just checked my credit and never even bothered with my references, personal or otherwise. Just ran my credit and said no.

Comment

Alicia,

It is the theft factor. The theory is that if you have a low score, that means that you are mismanaging funds and money and if you have a high debt to income ratio that you are more likely to steal - or atleast tempted to steal - to pay that off. That's the idea behind insurance companies hiking rates for insurance. It is the idea that the person is more likely to make a claim to get money to pay off debts. Which is bullshit and assumes that someone with high debt is a criminal. That is not so. There are RICH, FILTHY WEALTHY criminals out to scam people - Enron ring a bell? There has been NO SUPPORTED STUDY for this "theory" and is, again, bullshit and simply a way to squeeze blood from a turnip.

At anyrate, the comments I made about FICO scores come from this blog:

That dude is a moderator for the bankruptcy forum at the credit boards and is very informative. While I'm not surprised at what I read on his blog, I'm just glad that I finally have access to this information so I know how the game is played.

Good luck in finding a job. You'll find one. Just keep pushing forward. I know how tough it is. After 10 years of being in and struggling in the tech world, I finally have found myself where I feel I "should" be career-wise. And I'm in my late 30's.
                  Last edited by chpxiii; 10-24-2007, 04:19 AM.
                  Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
                  Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
                  Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
                  11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

I don't blame you for being upset. My husband was denied a job a few months ago based solely on his credit score. The interviewing manager liked him so much that during the interview process he told him that as long as everything (i.e. background and credit checks) come back fine, you are hired. We knew then he wouldn't get the job.

I understand how angry you are. You have every right to be. Sounds to me like the problem is probably more about the possible sexual harassment risk you pose (due to the sleezy manager, yuck) and credit is just the excuse. Because I'm pretty sure that if it was about the sexual harassment thing, you could sue them under EEOC. BUT, I'm not a lawyer.

Anyway, my husband applied for a job at a different company IN THE SAME INDUSTRY a month later and was hired even though they too did a credit check, so my advice is go ahead and apply somewhere else. That jewelry store is not the only game in town!

Comment

In regards to the last poster, I'm not sure if the store manager and I's chemistry didn't do something to deter me from getting the job. The sexual chemistry worked both ways and the district manager (store managers manager) saw it. It was impossible to hide. A prospective male employer has no business touching me, being physically close to me or winking. (All of which occurred.) Not conducive to a productive work environment. Believe it or not, he and I are friends now. I don't work for him so we're free to do what we like.

I was upfront about my credit when ask by the district manager. I told her flat out it was extremely ugly. I was completely honest. She said, "That's okay. There are ways around that." And then moved on with the conversation. She interviewed me for three hours. Next day, the store manager, DM and I have a lunch meeting..store manager flirts openly..then the DM never even calls me to tell me I didn't get the job. She has never called me to speak with me about it either, even though I have called her.

I have bad credit..so it's a legal way out then saying, "Well, you and my store manager were hot for each other. So no, we can't hire you." Bad credit is tangible and can be proved. Sexual harrassment is a alot messier. I hinted in the interview I might be uncomfortable working for a man.

No matter the reason for my not being hired, it still enrages me. In some ways, I would rather it have been for office romance reasons then my credit.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X