Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lawyers

My wife and I met with a paralegal yesterday at an attorney's office. It was a free consultation. I am not sure about the quality of the advise. I will cover the issues in another post.

My question here: Is this the norm to have the "free" consultation with a paralegal rather than an attorney? We will probably try another attorney's office. We may decide to pay for an actual lawyer consultation if meeting with the paralegal is the norm in bankruptcy cases.

Also, we live in Florida. She quoted us $1800 for the Chapter 7, includeing the filing fees. Is that a reasonable figure?

Any advise is appreciated.

What district? There are cheaper in FL if it is middle district and the consultation is with the lawyer.

Comment

Thanks, it is middle district. We will shop around.

Comment

My Experience, Yes. When I Filed Bk Back In The Early 90's The Lawyer Had His Assistance (paralegal) Set Up All The Paper Work. And A Recent Bk I Just Went Through I Hired A Diff Lawyer, And Again He Had A Paralegal Set Up The Paperwork, And Briefly Go Over What I'll Be Getting Into, And She Was Really Nice And Upfront, Any Questions She Couldn't Answer She Said The Lawyer Would Clarify That. I Was In A Ch13 But Than Converted To Ch7, Your Rates Sound Reasonable.

Best Of Luck, Cmiyc
        July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
        Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
        Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
        Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

If I wasn't allowed to speak directly with an attorney I would shop elsewhere. You're paying for the advice of an attorney, not some paralegal.

Comment

Originally posted by B12 View Post
            What district? There are cheaper in FL if it is middle district and the consultation is with the lawyer.

I filed middle district FL and my fee was about the same...a little more, in fact. But still, that was very reasonable to me.

My consultation was with the lawyer. Everything else was with his paralegal until the 341; the lawyer was there with me for that.

Everything the paralegal prepared was gone over by the attorney prior to filing.
            Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
            341 Meeting July 19, 2007
            Discharged September 17, 2007
            Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Cassie, 1800.? Thought it was 1000. plus filing fee.

Comment

I'm middle district Florida and I paid $1699 for everything.
                11/14/07 -filed C7 12/04/07 -case pulled for random audit.12/18/07 -341 held: Asset case due to engagement ring & tax return.02/19/08 - US trustee files motion to extend. 04/02/08- changed back to NO ASSET! I get my ring back and get to keep my tax return! :clapping: 04/28/08 -DISCHARGED!!! :yahoo::yahoo: 05/07/08 - CLOSED!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X