Military retire pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military retire pay

i plan to file chapter 7, will my retirement pay be used for the means test?

Originally posted by Spytheweb View Post
    If you are currently receiving your military retirement pay, then yes, it will be included to calculate your total gross income from all sources when you file.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by Spytheweb View Post
      Yes.

I collect both retired military pay and VA disability...

...which is being converted into Combat Related Special Compensation in the next few months.

Sorry, its all counted as income for the means test calculation.

About the only "income" not counted is various benefits paid under the Social Security Act.

And there is some argument there as well. Unemployment compensation has its own special little box on the B22 form...

Argued because some unemployment is federally funded under the SSA.

So, sorry, I know what you were thinkin'

But, no joy.

Don't forget, the "means test" is ONLY to calculate for the presumption of abuse. It does not "qualify" you for a BK7. It simply tests for abuse of the BK code.

Your schedules "I" and "J" are your real benchmark as for as whether a BK7 fits your situation.

Many fall over the means test and yet are successful candidates for a BK7. It's all in the income to debt ratio.

Take a real close look at your situation, and what your situation will look like in the future and you may find that

CPO

Comment

[deleted due to possible copyright issues]

If you are going to quote a source, you must identify the source. Thank you.
        Last edited by HHM; 10-28-2012, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Probably, I had to include my child support even though that is exempt from creditors and garnishments.

Comment

Yes, it is income for the means test.

Comment

Welcome to bkforum, O2brnot2b.

Please take the time to review the forum rules at http://www.bkforum.com/announcement.php?f=3

A five year old thread should not be revived.

Thank you.
              LadyInTheRed is in the black!
              Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
              $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X