Interesting way the CC scam us further

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting way the CC scam us further

I got a letter from AMEX today. I had about $4,000 before I hit the credit limit.

The letter stated that they dropped my credit limit such that it is now closer to $200 before maxing out versus $4000 before maxing out.

I just realized the brilliance in this for them. What that means is when they tag on the late fee, it won't be long before I max out the limit. Then they can add an additional over credit limit fee too on top of a late fee. That will bag them even more money to be able to write off as a loss.

Any way you slice it, the cc companies get big dollars from us anyway.

They did that to me once when I was carrying a balance on the sign & travel portion of the card. After I paid it down, they raised it again. They shouldn't have done that, it was my savior during the tough times and they wound up eating it.
    I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

I was paying my living expenses, gas food with my amex that was paid off monthly. I spent more than normal one month and they stopped my use of the card and lowered my monthly spending amount. I had the card for 8 yrs and had NEVER been late. Their smooth move is what sent me to my first bk consultation.

Comment

Write-off as a loss? Why would they want to do that? I guess if someone gets a bonus on the top-line maybe, but other than that, they've paid out $4,000 or so and now they're not getting any of it back...that can't be good. I think one of the great things about this country is that there is so much capital available that people are willing to take a gamble on a dead-beat like myself...haven't paid a creditor in 3 months, but the cash advance checks just keep on coming. I was opening a cash advance check from BOA the other day just as I noticed their collection dept. calling...very strange.
        Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
        341 - February 29th, 2008
        Discharge - June 20th, 2008
        Closed - October, 2008

Comment

That happens real often with the big CC's.

Those cash advance checks come from a special promotion company, retained months/years in advance.

Chances are, if you used one of those checks, it would bounce. BoA would not honor the charge to your past due acct.
          Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
          Discharged - 12/2006
          Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
          Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Cash Advance Checks from CC's are only good if you have the available credit! I thought American Express was unlimited? You just need to make sure you pay off the balance in full?

CMIYC
            July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
            Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
            Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
            Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X