Am I doing the right thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I doing the right thing

I have a house with a 262 first mortgage and a 117 second. House appraises at 340.

No payments have been made since January...waiting for NOD to get into forced mediation.

Just from a financial standpoint...being 40 grand upside down...is it worth it to even try and save the house...or cut loss and move on?

I have no real super emotional attachment to house.

Impossible for us to answer that for you.

There is some equity in the 2nd, so you cannot strip it in a ch. 13. As to whether its best to stay or go - one thing to consider is whether you can rent elsewhere for less. If so, stay where you are for as long as possible and save to move.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

already did 7...and discharged in oct 09. So kinda thinking this is last thing i need to purge from my old life to move on

Comment

If you can rent for cheaper, I'd do what was suggested above. I'm so ready to move on and put all of this behind me.
        04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Spin off on this ???...what happens to a HELOC in bankruptcy (Chapter 7)?

Comment

It gets discharged - but if you want to keep the house then you need to keep paying, or work out a settlement eventually w/ the HELOC lender to release the lien.

Originally posted by nervous1 View Post
            Spin off on this ???...what happens to a HELOC in bankruptcy (Chapter 7)?
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X