Joint ownersship, without joint debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joint ownersship, without joint debt?

My fiance' has a judgment against him. However to cover him with health insurance via my employer's "domestic partner" option, we must show joint ownership of something.

I have a 1993 Gran Marquis, with a KBB value of under 3000. If both our names are on this car, do we risk them taking it to settle his debt?

We are in the state of Michigan if that helps. He has no other property in his name. We have considered a joint savings account (to show joint ownership) and leaving only like 10.00 in it. :-) , as a option as well.

Does anyone know how that works, or if either of these ideas would work? Or if someone has another idea?
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Usually if a car is Titled "and" you both own it. If it is Titled "or" you each own it individually, in other words, either party could sell it without permission of the other, or change the Title. The "and" would probably not be attachable as you both have a 50% undivided interest in the item. 'Hub

P.S. it is possible to further protect it if you borrow ten bucks from a friend and he is willing to put a lien on the car. The amount does not show, only the lien.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Aah, very good point. I would be sure it would be titled with "and" instead of the or.

That would help protect it I expect.

Thank you AC-hub.
      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

Marriage would solve your problem without all that other stuff.
        Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          Marriage would solve your problem without all that other stuff.
          We are planning marriage, however we want our son to be there so it won't happen until spring. He was a baby when we split up and is now 29 years old with his own family. We have decided to wait until our son and his family can come, as it is important to us.
          Last edited by NoMoreCards; 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM.
          8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
          11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Comment

You can marry before the JOP and have your ceremony for the son next spring. Many people have multiple celebrations.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
              You can marry before the JOP and have your ceremony for the son next spring. Many people have multiple celebrations.
              We got married in the Courthouse square by a very old Judge who forgot some of the words. Two couples passed between us on the walk, the second time the Judge said, "if you do that again, you'll end up married". (True story)

Two years later we got married on the same day in Mrs. Church. (The "real" wedding) 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X