No announcement yet.

Debt Negotiations with Chase, Discover, Citi, Capital One, GE Money Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why it is not law that anyone who sell a credit obligation that the borrower be notified. PERIOD.
    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
      Do most allow payments of some sort?

Any thoughts here?
      11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Because somewhere in the fine print, you acknowledged their right to proceed with collection activity and/or arbitration should you default.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
          I'll add this...OC's often send out the debt to consecutive CA's when previous CA's have no luck. Once the OC has truly sold the debt, they have no right to continued collections. The debt is now in the hands of a JDB. DO not confuse a third-party debt collection company with an actual buyer of debt. While both are third-party under the FDCPA, the legal owner of the debt is not the same.

In a BK 13 case, I think it is very important that you know who actually owns the debt, an dhave them included in the matrix. Hell, I would include everyone, OC's, CA's, and JDB's just to cover my butt should I file. If Citi or others have actually sold the debt, then why on earth would they forward a POC to a BK 13 trustee? They have no interest in it.

From a legal standpoint, if I for whatever reason, do not list a JDB on a CITI account, and in my Ch.13, months later get collection phone calls based on some junk debt, where do I stand?

Comment

This would be a good time to see your lawyer to see if you can add them to your matrix.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic1 View Post
              From a legal standpoint, if I for whatever reason, do not list a JDB on a CITI account, and in my Ch.13, months later get collection phone calls based on some junk debt, where do I stand?
              I would say that clearly it must be sufficient to list "just" the OC for each account in your BK papers otherwise you would be defenseless against all subsequent JDB's.

Likewise the JDB is very likely going to pay someone to do a BK screen on his portfolio of accounts (the same way they do a deceased screen) to weed out the ones which are not worth pursuing.

Therefore if they were to contact you after your filing but before your bar date for proofs of claim, it might be best to just not respond at that time rather than inform them. Maybe DV/C&D instead.

Maybe this is a little "guerilla", but maybe smart tactics, no?
              filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

My point is that perhaps in a Chapter 13 you can reduce the length of your plan, or have excess money paid back or to secured creditors, if you can reduce your unsecured proofs of claim this way. Not saying that you shouldn't list your (e.g.) 5 Citibank accounts, just don't go out of your way to help anybody file a proof if they happen to come along during the early stages of your Chapter 13 case prior to the bar date for claims. Is that illegal or unethical? Sounds like it might but I'm not sure.
                Last edited by catleg; 03-23-2009, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by catleg View Post
                  Not saying that you shouldn't list your (e.g.) 5 Citibank accounts, just don't go out of your way to help anybody file a proof if they happen to come along during the early stages of your Chapter 13 case prior to the bar date for claims. Is that illegal or unethical? Sounds like it might but I'm not sure.
                  So you are saying you know the five account numbers you owe one creditor but deliberately don't list them all when you file hoping to reduce the amount you have to pay that creditor if they file a 13 claim....that's definitely not filing in good faith. You are withholding known information hoping to personally benefit.
                  I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                  06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                  07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                  10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                  01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                  09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                  06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                  08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                  Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                    So you are saying you know the five account numbers you owe one creditor but deliberately don't list them all when you file hoping to reduce the amount you have to pay that creditor if they file a 13 claim....that's definitely not filing in good faith. You are withholding known information hoping to personally benefit.
                    If he has listed the creditor I think the burden falls on the creditor to file the claim. I don't see that as withholding information.
                    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
                      No, you misunderstand. I am saying to document everything with respect to the original creditor, including balance and account number. But play dumb with respect to any subsequent buyers of the debt who come along, since you never had any agreement or obligation to them. If you can discourage them from filing a proof or can raise an objection to it, it might benefit the debtor.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X