Can't Believe AMEX Called my Mother-in-Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Believe AMEX Called my Mother-in-Law

Now I am more decided than ever to file my Chap 7 ASAP. How did AMEX got a hold of my mother-in-law's phone number? This should be non-issue next week due to automatic stay after filing my chap 7, but I am angry.

Sorry... I had to vent. Thanks listening...

Did you list your mother-in-law on your application to AMEX as a relative not living with you? THey ask for usually two people that fall in that category, along with phone numbers and addresses. That is why she got the phone call. They ask for that information so they have a contact if they cannot get ahold of you.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Skip tracing. They all do it.

Comment

We had a skip tracer call us a while back looking for someone a few houses down from us. They wanterd us to go knock on their door and see if anyone was home. I wish it was me who actually talked to them because I would have asked for a fee for the service or told them to take a hike. Anyway, I always wondered since we are on the national Do Not Call list, could an unsolicited call like that be considered a violation? If you are on the list and if I remember right, a business can not call you for business purposes unless they first have a business relationship with you.
        Last edited by Willy13; 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I may have entered her name and phone number on the application but I have never recieved a phone call, message, email, nor letter from AMEX. AMEX went straight to my MIL. I was so mad, I felt better after posting because next week, this would be a moot point.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Not all creditors honor the stay.
            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Originally posted by Willy13 View Post
              We had a skip tracer call us a while back looking for someone a few houses down from us. They wanterd us to go knock on their door and see if anyone was home. I wish it was me who actually talked to them because I would have asked for a fee for the service or told them to take a hike. Anyway, I always wondered since we are on the national Do Not Call list, could an unsolicited call like that be considered a violation? If you are on the list and if I remember right, a business can not call you for business purposes unless they first have a business relationship with you.
              Calling regarding collecting a debt is not the same as solicitng business from you. If the skip tracer had asked you to locate your neighbor AND asked you to sign up for identity theft protection you'd have a claim.
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                . If the skip tracer had asked you to locate your neighbor AND asked you to sign up for identity theft protection you'd have a claim.
                This post made me giggle. I imagined:

"sign up now and we will protect you from unscrupulous people tracking you down, people, Like us! We know how to walk the line between collection and harassment, so sign up for our protection plan and we will give you tips and tricks on how to stay under the radar of people... like us! If you sign up today, we are offering a one time discount of 20%. Reveal to us the whereabouts of your son in law and we will throw in, at no extra cost to you this free pamphlet entitled How to make money off the misery of others...and still sleep at night. As the ultimate bonus, if you sign up today and secretly provide us with your relatives banking information we will double our offer! Don't wait!"

hehe

Comment

LMAO - 2B you are too funny!

Don't give them any ideas!
                  Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                  Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Don't forget:

Plus Shipping and Handling

Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

For some people I would imagine that sicking Amex on your mother in law, and vice versa, is like a dream scenario
                      filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                        Calling regarding collecting a debt is not the same as solicitng business from you. If the skip tracer had asked you to locate your neighbor AND asked you to sign up for identity theft protection you'd have a claim.

That makes sense. I guess it's more like a private investigator. I'm just annoyed they bothered us to take part in their business activities and bother a neighbor we did not know.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bshinyandnew View Post
                          This post made me giggle. I imagined:

"sign up now and we will protect you from unscrupulous people tracking you down!"

hehe
                          I could actually see such companies forming. Whenever their is a demand, there is always someone trying to find a way to package it and sell it. I guess, in a way, it does exist in the form of debt settlement companies.

Originally posted by 2Bshinyandnew View Post
                          How to make money off the misery of others...and still sleep at night.
                          That's called a lawyer in many cases.

Apologies to the good lawyers. I know there are a few of you still out there.
                          Last edited by Willy13; 02-22-2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Isn't a violation when CC's or CA's don't honor the Automatic Stay after filing?

CC/CA Rep., Skip Tracer. PI. MOB or any THUG, they should have talk to me first, so they can get a straight answer about my BK and contact my attorney. This is simply harrassment, as if itwill change my mind of filing my BK. I think perhaps AMEX ran my credit report and found out that I was behind in my mortgage payment. I am trying to modify my loan but the requirement is 3 mos. default in payments. Now, I met the requirement Homecomings Financial is asking for late payment fees, penalties, and back mortgage payment owed. I am assumming their risk management department handling the loan modification do not talk to the department sending out these notices. They do not think about efficiency at this point. After 8-10 mos. attempting this process, I decided to surrender my house in chap. 7.

LOL! I should start this company in my neighborhood as part of my neighborhood watch and I can hire street gangs for min. wage to gather info. / threats but not really. This is too funny! Thanks folks... well appreciated!

Comment

I have one collection agency collector who keeps calling and claims if I don't pay him, he is going to call all of my neighbors and relatives. He also claims he does not have to honor the bankruptcy stay, It doesn't apply to him. I wish I could get his name and call all of his neighbors and relatives and explain what kind of low life he is. Better yet, spoof his telephone number and order pizza to be delivered from about 50 different places. When the pizzas are delivered, call the police and tell them there is a riot going on in front of the collector's home.
                              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X