Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Responses to "What are your intentions..."

Waiting to file in early April:

A few calls from In House collections and I have now heard the phrase "What are your intentions with this account?" - several times.

So far, I have responded by saying "I am continuing to explore all of my options".

Any other suggestions?

Exploring all your options pretty well sums it up.

The other question that I often was/am asked is, "what happened?" I would tell them the truth, my debt exceeded my ability to make all my payments. For some reason, that does not seem to be on their "what might happen" list. LOL

Recently, it has been very simple. I tell them that my wages had been under garnishment. That seems to be a show-stopper.

I never share any other info (wages, other debt, etc.) Even when I was working with BoA to get a reasonable payment plan, I refused to share anything of my personal financial situation, other than what was required to verify myself and the account.

Comment

Id tell them - IF I win the lotto I might consider paying you.

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post
        Recently, it has been very simple. I tell them that my wages had been under garnishment. That seems to be a show-stopper.
        That's a great answer.
        filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by treehugger1 View Post

It's good to see this process can be fun! We're current on everything right now but I plan to stop paying bills soon and have been dreading the calls. Now I see it can be fun!
          Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Since most of my credit applications were 1) either decades old or 2) phone references have long since abandoned or dropped their home phone numbers, they would have a very hard time finding anyone else to call.

In addition, if most of you recall, how many times did you fill out "references," could not remember addresses, but the application went through fine without reference addresses?

If you can withstand the initial attacks and not get sued, or if garnishments don;t bother you, or if you understand that BK is your ultimate weapon in the future, OC's, JDB's and CA's should be easy to deal with.

I want to say that all of the judgments on my credit report are there because I encouraged the local creditors to get off their "as**es" and file a small claim. They were all under $5000 debts, but I was stunned that I had to encourage them to "get their money." Their calls were easy. I told them to stop calling and get on with the process. Finally, that is what they did. Hell, I'd even help them fill out the small claims forms if they had needed help! A couple of my local creditor's representatives I know well, and we often sit down and have a beer or two. No hard feelings either way. I think they are lunatics and they think the same of me.

Comment

I always told them...

"We're aware of the problem and we're working to correct it as quickly as possible. I've made a note of your contact information and I'll contact you when I'm able to resolve this matter."
              Discharged November 2008 100 days after filing no-asset Chapter 7. We intended to let a two-year-old vehicle go back to the bank and reaffirm an inexpensive ten-year-old SUV and our home mortgage. In the end we surrendered ALL of our vehicles and reaffirmed NOTHING. We'll "ride through" our mortgage after the court ruled it an undue hardship.

Comment

This morning citi called me, asking why my payments had not been made ...and this is how the conversation went...

citi: it shows here that you are 50 days past due...do you want a payment plan..blah! blah!

me: no, I dont think I can pay you

citi: why cant you pay?...

me: I'm going thru a credit crunch too, just like you...

citi: I understand, but we can work out a payment plan...

me: I dont think that will work as I speak to you right now...

citi: why not...

me: well, I am waiting for my T.A.R.P money...

citi: oh...

me: I know, I am very disappointed that big guys like you are getting T.A.R.P money and blowing it on bonuses...

citi: not everyone got a bonus...

me: Well, I have to see what the senate does with todays discussions of my stimulus package...maybe I will call my senator and tell him to vote against giving citi any more money...until I get my bail-out too...

citi: sir, you know you will continue getting calls for the payment,...

me: that's ok, I will forward all citi calls to my senator office...

citi: well thank you sir, have a good day...

me: you too
                2009-Jan: Retained Atty
                2009-Oct: Filed Ch7
                2009-Nov: 341 held
                2010-Jan: Discharged on Pacer

Comment

Dont kid yourself

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                  It's good to see this process can be fun! We're current on everything right now but I plan to stop paying bills soon and have been dreading the calls. Now I see it can be fun!
                  This isnt fun...

Comment

I liked that conversation

Originally posted by mkuki View Post
                    This morning citi called me, asking why my payments had not been made ...and this is how the conversation went...

citi: it shows here that you are 50 days past due...do you want a payment plan..blah! blah!

me: no, I dont think I can pay you

citi: why cant you pay?...

me: I'm going thru a credit crunch too, just like you...

citi: I understand, but we can work out a payment plan...

me: I dont think that will work as I speak to you right now...

citi: why not...

me: well, I am waiting for my T.A.R.P money...

citi: oh...

me: I know, I am very disappointed that big guys like you are getting T.A.R.P money and blowing it on bonuses...

citi: not everyone got a bonus...

me: Well, I have to see what the senate does with todays discussions of my stimulus package...maybe I will call my senator and tell him to vote against giving citi any more money...until I get my bail-out too...

citi: sir, you know you will continue getting calls for the payment,...

me: that's ok, I will forward all citi calls to my senator office...

citi: well thank you sir, have a good day...

me: you too
                    At least they were civil...

Comment

Originally posted by ready2puke View Post
                      This isnt fun...

It can be made less stressful if we have some fun with it.
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Defitely not fun. I tell people: job loss... home equity loss... double foreclosure... moved... house bound due to illness for months... recovering from major surgery now.. no idea when or if things will improve. Generally they are pretty sympathetic and amazed at the series of events all happening in less than a year. It doesn't hurt that we never had any lates prior to last year and that we made partial payments up til Dec 08, I get a lot of "Oh, I can see that you've been trying..."
                        BKForum Blog: The Journey

sigpic

Comment

I had to hold them at bay for two years before filing. Wasn't fun, but wasn't stressful either.

I just kept telling them I was filing a chapter 7 in the next few months due to a failed business. Also, told them that I was expecting a wage garnishment any time now. Seemed to placate all of them except Chase, who eventually did file a judgment against me.

Most of them were nice about it. Only had one really nasty guy that kept calling for Chase. He was a trip and I did have some fun with him.

Comment

fltoo, You raise an interesting question. There are mixed opinions as to suggesting you are preparing to file for BK is a good idea when trying to build more time. In this economy and information era, the OC's, CA's, and JDB's have to pay some kind of attention to the possibility that the debtor will declare BK. Do they in fact consider this?

In my own opinion, I would think that if the OC, CA, etc has access to your credit report and it is in sorry shape, and you suggest you are exploring BK, then I would have to think you are going to the bottom of the collection pile.

In particular, if you recognize BK as a viable option should all hell break loose, then dealing with folks attempting to collect debt should not be all that stressful. YOU hold the cards.

I've now met several filks who perhaps played the BK 13 card too soon. As a result, their teeth are rotting out of their heads and they are scared to deal with serious health issues. Had they given more thought to their own health needs, above and beyond "saving" their vehicles or homes, they might realize that they had more time to take care of these things before they filed a 13.

Part of my issue is dealing with family members who are physically and mentally sick. I'll put it all on the line to protect my ability to help them. I'll submit to the Chapter 13 trustee, when I'm assured that immeidate family members don't need my help.

Telling a creditor (OC, JDB, or collection attorney,) that you are "visiting" with BK attorneys has to give caution to teh aggressive sort in these economic times.

While this won't guarantee safety, you do have to wonder if you are a priority collection account any longer.

Comment

Well, call me dumb, tree, cause I didn't know there were advantages to NOT telling the creditors about a BK. I knew the whole time I had to file.

What are they?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X