Is this illegal????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this illegal????

A couple of creditors are telling me that they have my credit report right in front of them and are reading it off to me. Can they pull my report like that without permission?

On a funny side note, I had one creditor tell me, "I see you are paying other creditors but not this account!" Total Lie!!! I have not paid any creditors in the last 6 months so I said which ones are those, you tell me. He read through them and finally came to my credit union LOC payment, which they automatically deduct $30 every month out of my checking account. He then said, "you cannot make preferential payments to one creditor". I then quoted that it has to be over $500 in 90 days, and $150 hardly comes close. He sat in silence. I liked it better when the original creditors called me. At least they accepted "I have no money to pay you" and were quite nice. These 3rd party collectors are killing me, they are so rude and they try to be sneaky.

Anyway, back to my post, is it illegal to pull my credit report w/out permission???

I think when it comes to a bank, or credit union or creditor, they can pull your report periodically even your car insurance company pulls your credit history periodically, someone correct me if im wrong. Why are you talking to those creditors anyways, have you filed bankruptcy yet? IF SO than you should not be talking to them. If you are in the process you should try to avoid talking to them at all because they have ways of saying things that may trick you into believing them and you dont want to respond to anything you may not quiet understand or be tricked into comitting to any payment of some sort.

I was going through a debet management program before I filed, they were so so so convincing but the further I read into the Bk Process the less I liked the debt management program, in the end the debt representative was convinced that I would not survive the Bk. SHE WAS WRONG, I've been discharged of all my debts!

Best of Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

3rd party collectors usually inherit the same right to pull your credit report that the original creditor had.

Comment

"..These 3rd party collectors are killing me, they are so rude and they try to be sneaky..."

It is just the modus operandi of the collection business. Anyone can get into the collection business. Thus you have so called 'unprofessional' conduct that is basically THE professional conduct in the collection business. They just want to make it so unpleasant for you that you would rather PAY them to get away from them... That is how they get debtors to pay.

Comment

I've been in collections, and can tell you, that 'no,' it's not illegal. It's a tool used for skip tracing as well. Because everytime you shop around for credit, that info gets added, and it's a way to find you if the orginal creditor cannot.

It should be added, though, that CB's don't update every week or month. Personally, I'm still trying to get stuff cleared up from over a year ago. There is a difference in the CB that a car insurance carrier would get compared to what a creditor gets, though.
          I'm not a lawyer or legal expert, just offering advice on what I may have gone through and/or have knowledge of. Good luck!
          341-done
          Last date for objections: 02/21/06 - done
          Discharged: 02/24/06
          Case closed: 3/8/06

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X