Means Test: Assistance to elderly parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means Test: Assistance to elderly parent

My elderly mother does NOT live with us. She lives in another state. She has no assets and only receives her survivors social security benefits. Am I able to include the money I send her monthly to help her live ($250-$350 per month) as an expense on the means test to exclude from my income?

Thanks!

If you have proof you have been supporting your elderly parent for at least several months and/or claim her as a dependent on your taxes, you should be OK. Discuss with your attorney.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Usually the US trustee wants to see your parent claimed as a dependent on your tax return for the expense to be valid.

Receipts could work, but that would depend on trustee and on district.

Claiming dependents that are not on your tax returns is a red flag for the US Trustee.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by DG1966 View Post
        My elderly mother does NOT live with us. She lives in another state. She has no assets and only receives her survivors social security benefits. Am I able to include the money I send her monthly to help her live ($250-$350 per month) as an expense on the means test to exclude from my income?

Thanks!
        the trustee can look at that monthly payment as fraud,because u are sending money to a relative.be prepared to show him how your mom is spending that money
        Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
        Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
        Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

In addition, the longer your history of sending her the payments the better chance of the trustee accepting it. How long have you been sending her the money? Does she ever send you back any?
          Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
          AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

I am NOT playing games to reduce DMI. My Dad JUST passed away and now she only collects the reduced survivors social security. She needs some assistance from me to make up the short fall. So the payments to her JUST started. Will this be disallowed? She truly needs assistance and if they don't allow the expense I do not know how I will do it.

She may come live with us and I am going to post another question regarding that in the forum right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DG1966 View Post
              I am NOT playing games to reduce DMI. My Dad JUST passed away and now she only collects the reduced survivors social security. She needs some assistance from me to make up the short fall. So the payments to her JUST started. Will this be disallowed? She truly needs assistance and if they don't allow the expense I do not know how I will do it.

She may come live with us and I am going to post another question regarding that in the forum right now.
              If she comes to live with you, and her husband just died, you have a legitimate expense, but since you just started paying her, you may be questioned by the US Trustee before your explanation is accepted. You have a valid expense however, so even with questioning you will most likely be fine.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

We support my mother, although I only claimed the expenses for her food & utilities (which was much more than you're claiming). We don't claim her as a dependent, but I had documented the support extensively. Not all situations qualify for the tax break; and in our case it would be no tax break at all.

Good luck - you're doing the right thing and you shouldn't get penalized for that. I know that it's plenty tough already.
                Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

We contribute monthly for my mother's living expenses and our attorney said it would be no problem. We pay her mortgage for here, $250 per month and have done so since she retired 2.5 years ago.
                  Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

The bk code does allow for the support of family members.

(II) In addition, the debtor's monthly expenses may include, if applicable, the continuation of actual expenses paid by the debtor that are reasonable and necessary for care and support of an elderly, chronically ill, or disabled household member or member of the debtor's immediate family (including parents, grandparents, siblings, children, and grandchildren of the debtor, the dependents of the debtor, and the spouse of the debtor in a joint case who is not a dependent) and who is unable to pay for such reasonable and necessary expenses.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X