top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Means test and large commission check coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Means test and large commission check coming?

I'm close to filing to block a foreclosure (probably will need to file within the next 3-6 months) and right now easily pass the means test. There is a pretty good chance that I will get a large commission check in about 45 days. That check will possibly give me too much income for the 6 month look back. If I go ahead and file before that check is cut do I have to worry that the trustee will later see the commission check and redo the math? Can the trustee take the money if it is paid out after I file or is it mine?

Thanks!

Originally posted by metoo View Post
    If I go ahead and file before that check is cut do I have to worry that the trustee will later see the commission check and redo the math?
    In Ch 7 your bankruptcy estate is set on the day you file. What happens after filing doesn't matter much unless you get an inheritance within 180 days of filing or deliberately commit bankruptcy fraud when you file. Plenty of smart people plan their bankruptcy to file at the time that's best for them. There's nothing wrong with doing that.

If you are filing with a lawyer, ask his/her opinion but chances are they will tell you to file now before the check arrives.
    Last edited by lrprn; 07-02-2010, 09:57 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

It won't be included in the means test if you don't receive it before you file, but if it was earned before you file chances are the trustee will treat it like an accounts receivable at the time of filing and will want the money.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X