top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girlfriend is co-owner on new mortgage but does not contribute to payment ...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girlfriend is co-owner on new mortgage but does not contribute to payment ...........

I would like to say first that I just joined the forum several days ago and have posted a couple simple questions. Thanks for all advice. This forum is wonderful for people like me who are frightened by the thought of bankruptcy.

The short version of my story.
    I was married 30 yrs. Got a divorce in 2007. Accumulated a lot of debt to stay afloat during that time. Was ordered to pay $1800 in alimony. I was still working as a skilled tradesman ( in my 34th year with them )with a large corporation. I bought a $94000 home with a $92000 mortgage in May 2009. I could not get a mortgage alone because of my debt load and my high alimony payment. I have never missed a payment on anything and I am current today. I had my girlfriend be a co-buyer to get approved. She still owns her own home. She sleeps at my(our) home sometimes. She sleeps at her home sometimes. The payment is $780 including a $80 condo fee. I make all the payments concerning the household, including utlities, repair,etc. The only thing she might do is buy a few groceries now and then. My job was eliminated in March 2010. I now draw a pension(my ex gets half the pension) and unemployment for a total of about $4600 a month. Still have to pay $1800 alimony but I have another hearing on it in July. It will probably remain the same. I still owe my old divorce attorneys $35000 (I've already paid them $50000) I have $57000 in Credit Card debt. Again, current on all to date,but only because I took a $6000 401k distribution in May.
    Do I get to count all the mortgage payment in the means test? Do I get to count all the household expenses? I would like to file a chapter 7 in October based on my 6 month previous income. Does my girfriends income affect me in any way since she only stays here part time ? I plan on keeping the house and staying current on the mortgage. Only $2000 equity.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks
    Last edited by hilll6; 06-14-2010, 10:03 AM.

Please ....... any advice very appreciated !!!!!

I know this is kind of complicated. Was hoping sombody else had similar ...

Comment

If the girlfriend is not living in the house, and has her own household-then I don't think her income would be a factor.
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

I don't believe her income is a factor unless she actually contributes to the household. From what I read, the answer to that question is no. You only include income of a roommate or relative to the EXTENT that they CONTRIBUTE to the household bills.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X