Has anyone had a..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone had a..

SMOOTH Ch7? I never seem to read of those? Just horror stories. Is there such a thing as a "not a bump in the road" Ch7? I know, I am probably dreaming.
    Retained lawyer 5/18/10
    Stopped paying CC 5/21/10
    Looking to File Ch7 in July, once we pay the Atty

I think, so far, ours has gone pretty smooth. we got all our papers together. met with our lawyer 4 times, filed, got our 341 meeting, and nothing has gone bad. Our bankruptcy is set to discharge anyday, and when talking to my lawyer last week, we have nothing to worry about.

Of course, i could be jinxing myself. LOL

So far the worst thing that has happened is the bank just sent a petition to lift the stay on our home, so they can start foreclosure. We are OK with that, just hoping they will still give us 90 days. having a hard time finding a house around here.

Good luck!
    Melissa
    Ch 7 Filed 2-22
    Discharged 6/2010

Comment

Well it is good to hear the good stories are out there! Thank you for sharing! best of luck to you with the rest of the process and the house!
      Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Actually a majority are straight forward no bumps in the road. What you read hear is people panicking and getting nervous over what could happen when a majority of the time nothing actually happens. I think the worst horror stories you will get will stem from a bad attorney. Basically a lack of communication, poor preparation, etc will get people very nervous.

Comment

Mine went smoothly, although I did worry about being pushed into a 13. But I think that I would have worried about that even if I had a negative DMI.

Comment

Ours went just fine. Filed chap 7, had a 341 meeting about 3 weeks later that was less than 3 minutes, and then discharge 71 days later.
            No calls, letters, or anything else filed on our case other than the report of no distribution and then our discharge.

Try to relax...it's just a process.

Comment

We filed pro se and went far smoother than I expected. The only bumps we had were the ones we caused with worry. Our discharge is coming any day now

Comment

I love hearing this! We are going to file "hopefully" the beginning of July.
                Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

It is the squeaky wheel syndrome here. If your case goes smoothly, there is very little reason to come here and post questions or concern.

90% of Chapter 7's go off without a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                    It is the squeaky wheel syndrome here. If your case goes smoothly, there is very little reason to come here and post questions or concern.

90% of Chapter 7's go off without a hitch.

Thanks HHM! I will fell better once we get the paper work done and he tells us what we want to hear....I guess THAT fear of not knowing is what is driving me insane.
                    Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Mostly it's smooth with good preparation, but it is as well to recognize that if you are significantly over the median, are self employed, or have high unsecured debt to discharge (in my case it was well over 200K) the odds are pretty good the UST will get involved, and may want a lot of backup documentation. My attorney told me up front I'd likely be audited and I was.

Comment

We have/are none of the above. About $41K unsecured, no assets that I am aware of, and under median.
                        Retained lawyer 5/18/10

Comment

Sounds like you're good to go!

Comment

When my 7 is finished, I plan to post a long summary of what I learned, as part of "giving back" to what I have learned here..

In the meantime, here is the best I can give you...If you want a "smooth" Ch 7, you need a good attorney (willing to help you plan ahead), you need to be well organized, and you need to be honest.

I spent about 8-9 hours over 3 days preparing my filing paperwork for my attorney. He said that, in 19 years of practice, he had never seen such a thorough job.

I was FLOORED! Really? All I did was gather and write in the info he asked for, check it for accuracy, and ask his paralegal for advice in a few areas. And somehow it was the best he has seen? Either he is REALLY shining me on, or people simply don't take the time to be truthful and accurate and organized.

My attorney says that he is typically retained some 6-7 months ahead of a filing. He has been extremely helpful in all aspects of planning. We file in about a month, and I am 100% comfortable with where we are, even though I know my Ch 7 will be anything but routine. He has my back.

Comment

I just had my 341 yesterday and it took a little less than 5 minutes. My attorney was great, but I was also completely on top of things. She had every piece of paper possible when preparing my petition, and I brought all my papers with me for the 341 (nothing was asked for except id). As long as nothing happens in the next 59 days, mine couldn't have gone smoother.
                              Stopped paying the CCs: January 2010
                              Filed for Bankruptcy (Ch. 7): April 29, 2010
                              341 Hearing (Successful): June 4, 2010
                              Discharge: August 4, 2010...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X