Not reaffirming cars and the ability to purchase another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not reaffirming cars and the ability to purchase another one

All, my husband refuses to sign any reaffirmation on ANYTHING. Our attorney does not recommend we reaffirm the mortgage but suggests it might be a good idea to reaffirm the cars. We have one car that will be paid in full in July and one that will be paid off in January. I know our credit is shot right now but if we reaffirm the cars at least it will show we paid those off on our credit which what I'm thinking will be looked at when we do need to purchase another car. Also, my second car that will be paid off in January has a 2 month extension on it. Will the finance demand we reaffirm or will they come and get the car even if we are current because of this? My first attorney told us that even if we are current GMAC is notorious for reposessions even if you are current. Can anyone give me some insight please. Thanks!
    08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
    04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
    06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
    08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Since you filed bankruptcy on 5/18 you should be good with the car that has a last payment in July. You'll probably have that car paid off by your 341.

There's an automatic stay on now. They can't take either car for a few months unless they get the stay lifted.

If your husband won't re-affirm either car, there's not much you can do.

Good luck!
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

keepingitreal, my 341 meeting is in middle of June. Will that make a difference?
      08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
      04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
      06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
      08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

Probably not.

They can't blind side you, even if they decide to go after the car. They would need to file a motion to lift the stay. If they had already filed a motion, you'd know. If they don't get the stay lifted, they can't touch the car til discharge and that would be about the middle of August. By then the car should be paid.

Originally posted by Ann View Post
        keepingitreal, my 341 meeting is in middle of June. Will that make a difference?
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X