Opened checking account 2 days after filing bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened checking account 2 days after filing bankruptcy

I opened a checking account two days after filing bankruptcy. This checking account is with the same bank, that I have now. The reason we opened a new checking account, was because my husband is in the process of getting a green card, and we need a joint checking account before the hearing, which is in two weeks. So my question is, should I go back and tell my attorney about this joint checking account? There is only $25 in it, but my husband (who did not have a checking account before) is going to have his next paycheck direct deposited into it.

I didn't think to open it ahead of time, and now I don't want it to come out that we have committed fraud or something...

I'm guessing that $25 was covered in the exemptions you listed either cash on hand or included in the balance of your other account the day you filed. Moving or opening a new account doesn't matter, it's the money you have in it and where it came from that matters. You're fine.
    attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
    no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
    341, 05/10/2010
    discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

No, the filing of your petition is basically a line in the sand. With the exception of inheritances and life insurance proceeds, assets you acquire post-petition aren't part of your bankruptcy estate.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X