Car help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car help

Hi, I am filing for bankruptcy and I have an appointment with a lawyer on Friday. But I have a question about filing bankruptcy. I have a car and the title is in my dads and my name. his name is listed first and then mine. Will they be able to take this car if he is first on the title and iam not? Will I have to list it in my bankruptcy if he is first on the title or does it not make a difference? Please help i m worried about this. Thanks Tracy

Originally posted by tarichann View Post
    Hi, I am filing for bankruptcy and I have an appointment with a lawyer on Friday. But I have a question about filing bankruptcy. I have a car and the title is in my dads and my name. his name is listed first and then mine. Will they be able to take this car if he is first on the title and iam not? Will I have to list it in my bankruptcy if he is first on the title or does it not make a difference? Please help i m worried about this. Thanks Tracy

Yes you have to list the car, but your lawyer will be able to tell you about the exemptions for your state and whether your car falls in to the exempt amount.

You also don't state whether you own the car free and clear of any liens. If you have an outstanding loan on it, that amount would be deducted from the value, so your asset amount would be less.

Good luck!
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X