HELP! I'm stressing now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! I'm stressing now.

Filed Ch 7 and 341 is scheduled for 5/14. Everything was going right along and then today I receive a call from the attnys office. Receptionist says he was told to call me and make sure I know that Chase Home Finance can come after me after foreclosure for the moneys owed on the house I am surrendering and including. Do WHAT? The house debt is the whole reason I filed. What's wrong with this picture??? They can't do that, can they? I told him I really wanted to talk to her (atty) personally because I'm totally confused now. I'm waiting for a call back but anything you all can say to settle me down in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

That does not make a bit of sense... You may need to go and see the atty in person.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Get a new attorney.

If you did not reaffirm (and you should not have in any circumstances) they can not come after you for any shortfall money. Your debt and responsibility for that mortgage has been/will be discharged in Ch 7.

Tell the "receptionist" she IS WRONG. God... if I had a dollar for every time I read or heard a crappy and incompetent bk attorney say something that is false.. I would be rich.
      Stopped paying c. cards February 2009
      Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010
      Case went without a hitch!
      I HELD MY HEAD HIGH IN THAT COURTROOM AND NOW I AM MOVING ON!

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I just wish she'd call me soon because I feel like I want to throw up.

Comment

Question: did you sign re-affirmation papers for your mortgage and did your attorney file them with the court?
          Retained attorney 11/5/09 - $100k in C.Card debt - $120000 per year income - Filed Feb 2010 - 341 Apr 2010 - No Asset Case/Report of No Dist Apr 2010 - Discharged June 2010

Comment

No, I haven't signed anything and she couldn't file them without a signature from me, could she? I wouldn't reaffirm. This house is the biggest thing I'm trying to get out from under.

Comment

Well the person who called you is full of it. Don't worry about a thing.

Comment

I hope so. The problem is getting past the receptionist. Now I'm being told (by same) that I shouldn't worry because the atty said the loan is included in the BK and I won't owe anything. Funny because the call was specifically to tell me they WOULD come after me. Now the receptionist is telling me that what he meant was that the BK probably won't be discharged until after the foreclosure is wrapped up which doesn't make any sense to me either. Jeesh. I know it takes months and even years sometimes for a foreclosure. Do I really have to wait that long for an official discharge?

Comment

Dizzy, sorry, the stress is the worse!!! HUGS!

Comment

That is an interesting question, if it takes months or even years to foreclose when will the BK be discharged?

Comment

Originally posted by angles View Post
                      That is an interesting question, if it takes months or even years to foreclose when will the BK be discharged?
                      The discharge will still occur as normal. The foreclosure has nothing to do with it and will not hold up the discharge
                      Filed: July 31, 2009
                      341: September 4, 2009
                      60 days: November 3, 2009
                      DISCHARGED!: November 6, 2009

Comment

I think this "receptionist" is confused and you should speak to your attorney directly! The simple fact is that ALL responsibility for that loan is discharged in your bk.
                        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Even if they have started foreclosure proceedings the moment you file your petition an automatic stay is imposed and the foreclosure proceeding is halted. In order for them to proceed with the foreclosure after you filed then they have to file a relief from the automatic stay. You are more than likely going to be be discharged before they can even think about kicking you out so don't stress and hire a better attorney or file pro se.

Comment

I have another question. Since I'm surrendering the house, does any "equity" I have in it come into play at all as far as being an asset? My attorney used exemptions for the "equity" even tho' I'm surrendering it. As a matter of fact, as far as I'm concerned, I have no equity. By the time I'd have sold it, there wouldn't be enough to pay off the mortgage. Do they have to go by the assessed value? We all know that's a crock anyway.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X