top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

purchasing a car BEFORE filing and still no attorney..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purchasing a car BEFORE filing and still no attorney..

we own our vehicles as follows

ALL in my husbands name
    2000 Durango- private value- $4115

99 nissan quest- $3370 (just purchased this a few months ago for $2500)

96 olds cutlass supreme- wrecked & tranny slipping- but my 18 yr old drives it- fair is $1,290, no $$ value for poor

97 jeep cherokee- parked, transmission out & other problems- fair is $3,000 no value for poor condition.

ohio exemptuion for ONE- $3225
    wild card- $1075

so, we are OVER the exemption, so they MIGHT take a vehicle. We NEED them. 15,16 & 18 yr olds, and mom and dad.

My husbands credit is still good, havent missed the CC payment yet.
    is it a good idea to purchase a car NOW? the thought of doing that SCARES me though.

we can buy a car over the weekend and file next week? thats not a problem?

if so, we want to go as cheap as possible on the loan, dont really want debt again, is there a good amount?

or should I scrap the whole idea and wait?

Im still having no luck finding an attorney in our area..

no response, so I assume we SHOULDNT look for a car?
    I'm just so afraid they will take one and we wont be able to get a loan later.

Comment

Originally posted by seekininfo View Post
      no response, so I assume we SHOULDNT look for a car?
      I'm just so afraid they will take one and we wont be able to get a loan later.
      Lots of people have written about purchasing a car before filing. That doesn't seem out of the norm at all.

From what you've described you have older vehicles, 2 of them needing major work. I doubt the trustee would see purchasing a reliable auto as anything but a necessity for you. Have you talked to an attorney yet? They would be best to advise you as to what is normal in your district.
      Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
      I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

still searchin for an attorney. Can you ask the attorney that type question? I want to do whats right, but would like to have a reliable vehicle also.

Comment

Originally posted by seekininfo View Post
          still searchin for an attorney. Can you ask the attorney that type question? I want to do whats right, but would like to have a reliable vehicle also.
          Since many people have written here about purchasing a car before filing perhaps you could do a search for "car purchase before filing" and see what others have done and how it's been viewed by their trustees and/or attorneys.

Good luck on finding an attorney. I hope all works out well for you.
          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

thanks thats what ive been doing the past couple hours

Comment

hubbys scores must be tanked due to DTI.

applied for capital one blank check up to $12,000 and the rate is 11.9% for 60 months. YIKES

Comment

I don't know that filing a week after buying the car is a good idea. However, since you haven't even found an attorney yet, I don't think you'll be filing for a while anyway.

I *believe* it's normally recommended that you make at least 1 payment on a new vehicle to show good faith before filing....
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

since the rate isnt that great, I think we'll just wait and chance that we get to keep our old vehicles.
                  I dont want a payment, but if they happen to take a vehicle, we'll just have to get another cheapy at an outrageous rate I guess.

Comment

I was "advised" to purchase a car before I filed for BK. I had 10 year old car with over 240k on it and I needed the deduction for my expenses (over the median). I was told to make at least a couple of payments on the vehicle before I filed. No problems and no questions asked, although I got a crappy interest rate of 6.5% and paid a premium price for the (2007, used) car, I never reaffirmed the vehicle either.
                    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

since I have a summons from amex, I cant wait a couple months to file.

we are way below median so no worries there.
                      family of 5, $39,000yr. in Ohio

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X